Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Anyone fancy entering the Cambridge grand fondo? I didn't realise how far north it actually is. It's not cheap at £88. It's Sunday 4th of June next year. A long way off but I think it sells out every year as it's closed roads the whole way. I'd enter it if anyone else wanted to have a go too. They do group bookings.

http://www.golazocycling.com/Tour_of_Cambridgeshire/ToC_Useful_Info_Gran_Fondo.php
I quite fancy that (apart from the price!) - I have family nearby so could maybe make a weekend of it and sneak away to do the ride with you guys. I like the idea of closed roads - no car drivers for Tommy to wind up!!

I think Jacob Skovsgaard of bkool fame said he was doing that too - hopefully he wouldn't slow us down too much :tongue:

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
only guessing but i would think it would be a fast one as there aint going to be many hills out there

It's got a reputation for being flat and fast Berty. But it could be a chance to keep more of us in a tight group. And if anyone is struggling they'll be plenty of other people to tag on to.

Fast sounds good and would give me a chance to see if I can stay with you guys this time:okay:

Andy too if he ditches the bmx gear ratio! :tongue:

Seriously though it's perfect for a team effort (might even require some team socks or something!). And puts some miles in our legs pre Pyrenees!

I quite fancy that (apart from the price!) - I have family nearby so could maybe make a weekend of it and sneak away to do the ride with you guys. I like the idea of closed roads - no car drivers for Tommy to wind up!!

I think Jacob Skovsgaard of bkool fame said he was doing that too - hopefully he wouldn't slow us down too much :tongue:

I can't help it if Isle of Wight drivers don't appreciate someone cycling down the middle of the road!

The price is steep but I think that's because of the cost of closed roads and we're also slightly slow to enter. Ridelondon is £70 I think, but they also take some of the money they need from failed ballot entrants. Still a bit of a sting though!

What about we see how much interest we can drum up this week. Then at the weekend see who fancies it?

Obviously this can be one of a few trips we plan.

bobinski

Legendary Member
I'm not a fan of these large sportives, too many ill disciplined riders for my liking. Closed roads are great but seem to bring the 'racers' out in people, the problem is that they haven't got the skills to be racers, too many avoidable crashes.

Case in point is that some friends did the Velo at the weekend. One was taken down by another rider whose riding style and fitness suggested they were newish to cycling. Seen some video of the ride and have to say it looked a bit dangerous at times. Inexperienced riders, wannabe racers and lack of discipline seemed common. Huge number of complaints about organisation, dangerous food stops etc. God that all sounds so negative! They still enjoyed it but interestingly are looked at the Welsh velothon and Dragon rides for next year.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

I know what you guys mean. Big events do have a reputation for bringing out the inner idiot in people. When Bob and me did London to Brighton we saw some pretty random fails.

My experience is that the earlier you set off not only are the roads clearer but the standard is a bit higher. I've done a few of these events and I've never had an accident but I accept there's always a chance. I do think most accidents can be avoided just by keeping yourself aware of those around you. If we're in a unit it's even easier.

I'm not suggesting this be our 'big meet up' for the year, but more like a side event that I thought we could do on top of whatever else we choose. So no one should feel obliged to just go with the majority or feel like they're missing out if they don't fancy it. This one is just an easy starter because it involves very little planning on our part.

OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

not to gain a reputation as being sheep-esq but if enough people say yep then i am in :okay: but be warned i may tail off a team effort if its anything like downhill at iow - bleeding stupid peddling harder downhill than up !! :wacko:^_^

I think the Cambridge course is so flat that it'll be a lot easier to stick together. Just start up steadily then if you're feeling strong take a turn at the front. If not then we can all hide behind Bridgy! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom