Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Will people want to stop at all the checkpoints (there are 5)? I used to when I did the event several years ago because a) I was way less fit and needed the breaks! and b) I used to like getting my card stamped. But nowadays I would do a ride of this length with just one or no stops really.

As an "event" it's slightly odd when you think about it because there's no actual need to register if you don't want the badge - there's no numbers or timing chips or anything like that. There's literally nothing to stop you just cyling the route and buying a sandwich or cake at a checkpoint if you want to.

I think I would register online if I go, just to support the organisers and as I think it helps them to have accurate numbers of participants. But I doubt I'd really want to stop at every checkpoint - one of the gaps between checkpoints is only 4.8 miles.

I don't mind how people ride it - just wondering what the concensus is really?

Norry1

Legendary Member
Will people want to stop at all the checkpoints (there are 5)? I used to when I did the event several years ago because a) I was way less fit and needed the breaks! and b) I used to like getting my card stamped. But nowadays I would do a ride of this length with just one or no stops really.

As an "event" it's slightly odd when you think about it because there's no actual need to register if you don't want the badge - there's no numbers or timing chips or anything like that. There's literally nothing to stop you just cyling the route and buying a sandwich or cake at a checkpoint if you want to.

I think I would register online if I go, just to support the organisers and as I think it helps them to have accurate numbers of participants. But I doubt I'd really want to stop at every checkpoint - one of the gaps between checkpoints is only 4.8 miles.

I don't mind how people ride it - just wondering what the concensus is really?

Like you, I'd normally do 100km in one non-stop go. I don't really mind how we do it on the day, but I'd like to know beforehand. I presume we'll be mixed ability and will want to stick mainly together. Maybe we do that and have "competition" on selected hill segments?

BurningLegs

Veteran
I'm with you @bridgy - in the past I've stopped to get my card stamped (and that's usually all I do at most of the stops). With no cards this year I certainly wouldn't want to stop at all the available points!

One stop would be good for me :smile:

bridgy

Legendary Member
Like you, I'd normally do 100km in one non-stop go. I don't really mind how we do it on the day, but I'd like to know beforehand. I presume we'll be mixed ability and will want to stick mainly together. Maybe we do that and have "competition" on selected hill segments?
Yeah I'd be happy to try and stick together like we did when we did IOW last time (with mixed ability groups this does inevitably mean a bit of waiting at the top of big hills but that's OK). My preference would be for maybe 1 or max 2 stops. The roads mostly aren't fast so we'll need food just based on the time we'll end up riding for ratehr than the distance. As Nick mentioned the food stops are generally manned by volunteers at schools or village halls and it's home made rolls and cakes etc - all very cheap and raises money for the school/community so I'm up for that.

But I was asking as I don't want to spoil the event for anyone who wants to do it "properly" by checking in at all the stops.

The biggest hills are in the south of the Island - up to Ventnor, and the main one is the climb up to Blackgang which is about a 3km climb. Current CC Strava group leaderboard below - it seems I forgot to mention to everyone on the day we did it that it was a timed climb :okay:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
The website says 'We will be moving fully to a digital brevet card using our mobile app - more details to follow'. Not sure what that means, will it automatically detect you as you go by or do they need to scan your code or something like that instead of a stamp?

Norry1

Legendary Member
The website says 'We will be moving fully to a digital brevet card using our mobile app - more details to follow'. Not sure what that means, will it automatically detect you as you go by or do they need to scan your code or something like that instead of a stamp?

I think it will be scan your barcode, so that would entail a stop.

Whorty

Gets free watts from the Atom ;)
Yeah I'd be happy to try and stick together like we did when we did IOW last time (with mixed ability groups this does inevitably mean a bit of waiting at the top of big hills but that's OK). My preference would be for maybe 1 or max 2 stops. The roads mostly aren't fast so we'll need food just based on the time we'll end up riding for ratehr than the distance. As Nick mentioned the food stops are generally manned by volunteers at schools or village halls and it's home made rolls and cakes etc - all very cheap and raises money for the school/community so I'm up for that.

But I was asking as I don't want to spoil the event for anyone who wants to do it "properly" by checking in at all the stops.

The biggest hills are in the south of the Island - up to Ventnor, and the main one is the climb up to Blackgang which is about a 3km climb. Current CC Strava group leaderboard below - it seems I forgot to mention to everyone on the day we did it that it was a timed climb :okay:

View attachment 630406
I can only assume that was a segment that Paul was riding with me so I didn't get lost (again).

Whorty

I'm 75% up for this, just need to sort a few things out (as part of sorting life out, trying to get over the mental breakdown, I'm selling the house I bought last year and doing what I should have done in the first place and look to move back to the Midlands near family and friends - girl I was dating convinced me to buy this house near her, total feck-up, so will depend how all this goes as to where my head is at the time).

Last edited:

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
I don't know if I'll be able to do it in one go. Never did 100k outside and the 100 miles indoors ended up with an injury. Hard to say where I'll be in May in terms of cycling fitness.

Whorty

I don't know if I'll be able to do it in one go. Never did 100k outside and the 100 miles indoors ended up with an injury. Hard to say where I'll be in May in terms of cycling fitness.
You'll be fine - I did it with the boys and I was nowhere near as fit as I am now ... the trick is to pace yourself and take it steady. Plenty of fluid and keep snacking through the day. Having a group to ride with too certainly helps.

Top Bottom