Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
Yeah I'd be happy to try and stick together like we did when we did IOW last time (with mixed ability groups this does inevitably mean a bit of waiting at the top of big hills but that's OK). My preference would be for maybe 1 or max 2 stops. The roads mostly aren't fast so we'll need food just based on the time we'll end up riding for ratehr than the distance. As Nick mentioned the food stops are generally manned by volunteers at schools or village halls and it's home made rolls and cakes etc - all very cheap and raises money for the school/community so I'm up for that.

But I was asking as I don't want to spoil the event for anyone who wants to do it "properly" by checking in at all the stops.

The biggest hills are in the south of the Island - up to Ventnor, and the main one is the climb up to Blackgang which is about a 3km climb. Current CC Strava group leaderboard below - it seems I forgot to mention to everyone on the day we did it that it was a timed climb :okay:

View attachment 630406

Shots fired!

CXRAndy

Guru
Ive got the most Watts 😁

CXRAndy

Guru
I don't know if I'll be able to do it in one go. Never did 100k outside and the 100 miles indoors ended up with an injury. Hard to say where I'll be in May in terms of cycling fitness.

Its 4 months away. The ride is not non stop. Food/comfort breaks. Even time for Ice-cream ^_^

Think of it as 20 mile blocks. 3 of them. How was your knee after the other days race?

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
You'll be fine I'm sure so long as you keep cycling from now until then.
Yeah, well, that's the plan :okay:

Its 4 months away. The ride is not non stop. Food/comfort breaks. Even time for Ice-cream ^_^

Think of it as 20 mile blocks. 3 of them. How was your knee after the other days race?
11 weeks - not that long. Slowest up the hill buys the ice-cream? Need to get my credit card ;):laugh:

Knee right now - totally fine, no issues at all. Doing one race, one all-out Alps climb and two recovery rides a week. Total ~100k/week for next 2-3 weeks. Will then think about introducing some sort of endurance session, maybe 1.5h to begin with and +15 minutes each week. Will consult my physio as I'll be popping in for a massage after next week ZRL :wacko:

@Peter Salt - don’t forget it’s nothing like a turbo - there’s downhills as well to give you a rest , not pedalling all the time
Yeah, fair point, outdoor felt much easier then indoors when I eventually got out.

bridgy

Legendary Member
@Peter Salt Its not a race at all, call it a sportive. Ride in Z3, have breaks, chat with others.

No heavy breathing for more than 5 mins :laugh:

This is our last outing compilation.

View: https://youtu.be/VQe_QysL12A

46 mins onwards is interesting ;)

Nice one Andy - brings back happy memories. We were so lucky with the weather that day too!

Great action at 40:07 when Bridgy makes a move to clip off the front with @Breedon on his wheel. @kipster sees the danger as does @<Tommy> a moment later, and they get onto his wheel, but @CXRAndy is dropped and the four go clear. At 41:35 @berty bassett realises he's made a terrible mistake and missed the move of the day and attempts to bridge.....

I agree Andy the views from around 46 mins on the miltary road are fantastic - and we get to see "the crash" too. Are we still sure the passenger in the silver car doesn't put a hand out and push Bob over?!

That's really whet my appetite for May ^_^

Top Bottom