Turbo Club - Meet Ups / Events

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
<Tommy>

<Tommy>

Illegitimi non carborundum
The "passenger only" ferry is known as the Red Jet - it's a much smaller boat with a faster crossing time, but it is usually over subscribed because it has lower capacity, and if you can't take your planned departure (either early or late) they are not able to be as flexible as the car ferry (except for allowing you to take the car ferry as an alternative). I wouldn't recommend using it on the return to be honest. Fine on the way out though when you can be certain of arriving for your scheduled departure.

Lymington will be tougher for Londoners like @<Tommy> to get to for a crossing because it's further from Southampton (all the Brockenhurst trains go through Southampton central) and you have to change at Brock onto the branchline for Lymington or ride it (approx 20 min ride, probably longer on the train including wait time).

I think this leaves us with the following options:
  1. 🟠We have a group on the 10AM ferry from Southampton, arriving in Cowes at 11AM, and a group on the 10AM Lymington ferry arriving in Yarmouth at 10:40AM. The Southampton group will be waiting approx 15 minutes for the Lymington group to arrive in Cowes. This should work, bud a bit of added complexity of groups joining up :smile:
  2. 🔴We all go from Lymington - I can meet @<Tommy> and anyone else on the train. Earliest departure from London Waterloo at 07:53 gets to Lymington at 10:09 which means the 11AM ferry, starting the ride at 11:40AM. I think there must be engineering works or something - timetables suggest no trains leaving Waterloo before 7:53. This probably means returning to Lymington at 4PM or 5PM, which is too late for me (and probably others????) so I'd need to be the Hare starting at Cowes that you Hounds are chasing from Lymington in this scenario!
  3. 🟢We all go from Southampton at 10AM. I think this is the best option. Lymington might seem closer to the west country for @bridgy and others, but Google Maps says it's fewer miles and a faster journey to Southampton ferry terminal than Lymington (Motorway all the way into Southampton rather than forest roads). Not sure whereabouts you are Bridgy but Wincanton to Lymington is 63 miles at 1h 41m whereas Wincanton to Southampton ferry terminal is 58 miles at 1h 27m
I don't think there is anyone in this thread who would have a shorter journey time to Lymington over Southampton - even from Yorkshire @Peter Salt

Agreed Nick

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Agreed Nick
Yup, unless someone has a strong argument against it, I'm going with Southampton. I'll be in some sort of B&B walking distance from the ferry terminal so if the 'public transport people' want to grab an extra bag or something you can use that as storage space.

bridgy

Legendary Member
Agreed Nick

BurningLegs

Veteran
Looks good 👍

I can plan a ride for Saturday afternoon if you’d like? Any areas you’re interested in? Perhaps the New Forest? It’s pretty flat but unique scenery with the roaming ponies and open spaces (some areas quite exposed to wind)!

Norry1

Legendary Member
Looks good 👍

I can plan a ride for Saturday afternoon if you’d like? Any areas you’re interested in? Perhaps the New Forest? It’s pretty flat but unique scenery with the roaming ponies and open spaces (some areas quite exposed to wind)!

That would be good Nick. Never been to the New Forest.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Alright, I'm all booked in for my stay. Unfortunately, it's around 2 miles away from the ferries, but it cost me just £40/night and it's a completely separate guest house with access to the garden so will be able to wash the bike :okay:

Would love a trip around New Forest on Saturday if the weather is nice ^_^

Top Bottom