Turbo Rocker Board

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
I've put all the photos and video here. So if anyone is interested in building one, feel free to copy, modify cobble together ideas

Picture say a thousand words, but if you need any info just ask:smile:

Cost ~£60 complete

https://www.bearingboys.co.uk/Pillow-Blocks/UCP204-Medway-20mm-Pillow-Block-Bearing-1778-p

View:

View: https://youtu.be/tq0xk1jepD4

20180407_155125.jpg
20180407_173426.jpg
20180407_174338.jpg
20180409_130029.jpg
20180409_131729.jpg
20180409_133355.jpg
20180409_134807.jpg
20180409_162942.jpg
20180410_084024.jpg

bobinski

Legendary Member
Andy, I though you were gonna build them for us?

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Looks great - like the tennis ball damping !! Thought about one myself, as I'd just need the pivot and tennis balls as I've got loads of timber. The only issue is getting on and off is hard enough on a normal turbo since I broke my back - I'd need a step.

It's one of the reason's my MTB has a dropper seat post !

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Do we think that these will help with soreness in the nether regions from long rides on the turbo? While I can ride for 2 1/2 to 3 hours on the turbo in one stint, it does start to get uncomfortable, while a better saddle / shorts / pad have made some difference it's still not as good as IRL. If this could help then I'm all for building one asap.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
Do we think that these will help with soreness in the nether regions from long rides on the turbo? While I can ride for 2 1/2 to 3 hours on the turbo in one stint, it does start to get uncomfortable, while a better saddle / shorts / pad have made some difference it's still not as good as IRL. If this could help then I'm all for building one asap.

Yes, it will. I suffer the same issue and find I need to stand more with multi hour turbo sessions. This is the probably the most beneficial aspect. Mimicking outdoors is a nice feature. I will have a hundred miles by the end of the week.

Aleman

Time to get my Sketch pad and tape measure out then ... going for a full length one if I can get the cutting plan to fit on a single sheet of 8 by 4 ply

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
It will easily fit one large sheet, the main cut is slightly diagonal to make a narrow end for front wheel and wide part turbo end. Post up pictures when you've done it :okay:

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I made one with barrow inner tubes for suspension and I get a lot more movement than you do. My advantage is that I can adjust the pressures. I would say your set of balls need to be nearer the center and also possibly less of them

The initial feel seems about right, especially standing. I thought about having the balls slightly angled as opposed to parallel to pivot, allowing graduated pressure as more lean presses on more balls. Its all an experiment to get the right feel, for now pleased it rocks slightly, hasn't collapsed or I've fallen off it :laugh:

Aleman

I made one with barrow inner tubes for suspension and I get a lot more movement than you do. My advantage is that I can adjust the pressures. I would say your set of balls need to be nearer the center and also possibly less of them
What sort of size Inner tube and how many ... I guess it depends on if you are doing a full length board or just a half one

Top Bottom