Turbo Rocker Board

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aleman

Knees are FUBAR but I don't like to mention it
Wheel barrow inner tubes seem to be commonly used
Yep, they come in different sizes 6", 8", 10" Dia, 3", 4" Thick

Venod

Eh up
How do you find the inner tube for resistance?

Very good so far you can adjust them to suit, I have them softer than I thought I would need, in the Facebook group people have reported problems with the tubes splitting on the seam, but mine are OK so far.

The biggest advantage of the rocker I find is being able to power up climbs seated, you have to get the timing right, pull up on the bars on the same side you are pushing down and lean the bike in the opposite direction as you would outdoors.

Some of the videos you see posted have the bike leaning towards the downward stroke leg, not sure what difference it makes to power output, but its not how you ride outdoors.

Last edited:

Aleman

Board bought and cut at Bodgett and Quit ... Waiting for all my eBay purchases now ... OK not cheap at £120, but for a full length one ... It's a bit narrow (610mm), but as BnQ only do straight cuts it's what I had to go with. and the Pro is only 570mm wide with the extensions in.

Wheel barrow inner tubes seem to be commonly used. make sure the wood surface is smooth, you don't want a blow out end up in the virtual hedge :biggrin:
Gone for 4" Mobility Scooter ones in the end ... Planning on lining it with closed cell matting for inner tube longevity ... Will also go for a rectangular option to start with, and may well introduce fancy shapes / curves once I've seen how I get on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
shame you weren't able to get a cut to give a wider base. Using a Bkool I would use heavy gauge cable ties or wide velcro straps to hold down the turbo. Bkool have a tendency to want to fall over if you lean on them. I don't know if you have a decent building merchant like Buildbase nearby. They often do cutting of their wood for you if you ask nicely. They cut mine down to required size but mine is smaller than yours. :smile:

Just measured the Bkool and you need around 840mm with legs fully extended including a little bit spare on each side.

Last edited:

Aleman

Rocker board all assembled now, just need to find my heavy duty cable ties to secure the trainer as the U bolts I bought are not long enough to pass over the extension leg and through the top plate :sad:.

Had an issue with with my bearings not wanting to fit over the shaft, both of which are a nominal 20mm ... quick and simple solution take a dremel with a sanding drum, and open out the bearing ... 2 or 3 minutes for each bearing (I have 6).

I need to remove the top plate and insert a 10mm 'riser' under each pillow bearing to allow clearance for the grease nipple ... But the 45mm contersunk bolts I bought will them be 10mm too short ... off to ebay.

Still to do - cut holes in the top plate for access to the inner tubes to easily adjust pressures, and release the air inside the 'doughnut' otherwise it 'grunts' when rocking.

It's going to be an interesting 'experience' until I get used to it. Gentle recovery ride tonight in Erg Mode as I have declared tomorrow "Long Ride Thursday", and I'm planning on a century over some (two) of the hills to the east of here. (Shallow side of Trough of Bowland and Bowland Knott). Will be a good one, but looks as though I'll be doing it solo as no one in the club wants to do rides of that length.

OP
OP
CXRAndy

CXRAndy

Guru
I've settled into using my rocker board, I don't even notice it's there now, which is a good sign. Mine is set firm and I like the slight wobble. I've ridden a hundred miles with my rocker

greenmark

Guru
Quick question for rocker plate people – do they help in vibration dampening from the trainer to the floor?

I live in a block of flats, so I’m always worried about transmission of vibration from the trainer downstairs. I’ve thought of building a vibration damper with tennis balls – so similar to a rocker plate without the central spur around which to rock. I’ve seen drummers use them to reduce inter-storey vibration for their kits.

But unlike drummers, I want to ROCK.

I’m guessing the central spur is still transmitting the vibration to the floor, right?

Top Bottom