Turbo roller wear question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Guyincognito76

I've bought one of those Aldi Turbo Trainers for £50. So, obviously, first newbie mistake is that I used it with my regular tyres. As my road riding is probably done for the winter this is not a huge deal at the minute. I'm more concerned that the roller, which is rubbery plastic and not metal, has had a groove worn into it. Surely this is going to continue to wear down all the way through, no?

Yes it probably would wear down . Would it be possible to fit a metal sleeve around it ?

screenman

Legendary Member
In time it may, but it will likely take a lot of riding. No worries on the road tyre, that is all I have ever used.

To be fair though you cannot buy much for £50 and if it lasts a 100 rides I would say it was money well spent.

Mine was about £400 and is now still well used at 20+ years old.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
It shouldn't do. Are you sure it's set up right? There's often 2 positions to set the roller for different wheel sizes (at least that's the case with Tacx anyway). Setting that wrongly can cause excessive pressure which could cause more tyre wear.
Tyre choice (trainer vs road) won't affect wear on the roller itself so a trainer tyre isn't the solution here.

OP
OP
Guyincognito76

Guyincognito76

We are talking Aldi here - don't expect a lot

I thought it wasn't unreasonable to expect it to last until April. :angry:

e-rider

crappy member
I've bought one of those Aldi Turbo Trainers for £50. So, obviously, first newbie mistake is that I used it with my regular tyres. As my road riding is probably done for the winter this is not a huge deal at the minute. I'm more concerned that the roller, which is rubbery plastic and not metal, has had a groove worn into it. Surely this is going to continue to wear down all the way through, no?
£100 will get you a basic turbo from Elite or Tacx. Good Rollers can be had for about £100 too.
As for your current setup, special turbo tyres are used to save your normal tyre from heat damage, not to protect the turbo itself.
Keep using the turbo as is, until it wears out which should be in a few years time. Good quality Turbos last for years and years
EDIT, design fault, the plastic roller is shite, aim for a refund

Last edited:

Erne rower

Just a late addition to this trainer forum; bought the Aldi fluid turbo trainer. Found a groove worn on roller after only about 5 mins use!!,( GP4 conti tyre). Obviously not fit for purpose.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Living where I do (Northern U.S.) I get a lot of use from a trainer. I may wear one out after a few years, but they should last longer than what you report. Then again, our Aldis' don't carry very much in the way of cycling gear, nothing like you see in Britain or Europe. But the season will soon be at a point where a lot of winter gear will be going on sale, or getting sold on Craigslist or Gumtree. I do use a training tire in winter. This is because, on the trainer, the tire doesn't get used across the tread, but rather in one small line round about the tire where it contacts the roller, creating a wear line or even a flat spot. My Minoura is getting quite old for a trainer, so I'm thinking about replacing. I'd buy quality, and buy once.

gbb

Legendary Member
. I do use a training tire in winter. This is because, on the trainer, the tire doesn't get used across the tread, but rather in one small line round about the tire where it contacts the roller, creating a wear line or even a flat spot. .

I have always used my 'normal' tyre (usually a gator) on the turbo and never generally had a problem, but I only use the turbo sparingly and always make sure the pressure between tyre and turbo roller is the minimum possible, I've always said there's no need for a turbo tyre in my experience.
But I've changed my mind...my last tyre developed a flat spot all round it at the contact point, probably because I used the turbo more than usual.

I suspect if someone is either using a turbo a lot, likes there to be a reasonable amount of pressure between tyre and roller to avoid slippage or is doing some serious workouts, a turbo specific tyre may well be a better option.

Top Bottom