Turbo roller wear question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have a turbo specific bike, fact it has been on the turbo that long I doubt I have the front wheel for it anymore. I have never used a turbo specific tyre and have no reason to as wear is not a problem.

Lynnh

[QUOTE ]I've bought one of those Aldi Turbo Trainers for £50. So, obviously, first newbie mistake is that I used it with my regular tyres. As my road riding is probably done for the winter this is not a huge deal at the minute. I'm more concerned that the roller, which is rubbery plastic and not metal, has had a groove worn into it. Surely this is going to continue to wear down all the way through, no?[/QUOTE]

I got the same one for Xmas and having just completed my third session it’s worn right through to the metal (with a trainer tyre as initially I thought it was my bike tyre that was shredding with the friction). Conclusion I think - you get what you pay for! Back to the drawing board!

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Being in the States, where Aldi's cycling offers are fewer than in England and Germany. the Bikemate turbo trainer is the only cycling item currently in store at my local Aldi's. I wasn't interested in it as I have a Cycleops, but I'm sorry to hear it isn't up to spec. Usually I've had pretty good luck with what little cycling stuff we get over here from them.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have always used my 'normal' tyre (usually a gator) on the turbo and never generally had a problem, but I only use the turbo sparingly and always make sure the pressure between tyre and turbo roller is the minimum possible, I've always said there's no need for a turbo tyre in my experience.
But I've changed my mind...my last tyre developed a flat spot all round it at the contact point, probably because I used the turbo more than usual.

I suspect if someone is either using a turbo a lot, likes there to be a reasonable amount of pressure between tyre and roller to avoid slippage or is doing some serious workouts, a turbo specific tyre may well be a better option.

I got myself a cheap wheel and trainer tyre. The wheel is not taking any impacts out on the road so does not need to be that high a quality. Wheel is doing just fine a few years on.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I just use worn road tyres. Something which I would no longer want to ride on the road can still be good for a month or two of TT efforts.

There should still be enough friction between a tyre and the metal roller to work - my TT only had a bare metal roller to start with!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Aldi (generally) have an excellent returns policy, so you should be fine returning it and getting your money back. I think some stuff comes with 2 or 3 years guarantee as standard too rather than the usual 12 months, so check your receipt.

I was in Halfords yesterday and they have a "smart" Tacx Blue Matic Smart turbo trainer reduced from £120 to £96 (less BC discount if you're a member).
It's not a fully smart trainer as you have to manually adjust the resistance, but it will Bluetooth data to your phone / tablet.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
My old Tacx Speedbraker turbo has a metal roller and that too has a noticeable groove worn into it. Just think of how many times it goes round during a session.

midlife

Guru
Just checked and my 50 quid Halfords turbo has a metal roller..... I just wondered if it was an Aldi one with a different brand name.

Top Bottom