Turbo set up in outbuilding (too cold ?)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
Some progress so far:

I keeping with a Jaws quote, I think we’ll need a bigger fan

si_c

Guru
Yeah, I have a pair of 45cm fans...

Stephenite

Membå
Is that a Tacx Flow Smart 2240? I have one of these in the loft in the little block I live in. It's cold in the loft in winter - about 8 - 10C like your barn. I start off with a t-shirt, and perhaps, a thin long-sleeved top over according to the temperature. The top soon comes off.

Planning my Winter set up for the Turbo and want something that will be permanently set up over those few months. So far i've used my Turbo and Rollers in our utility room that is very warm all year round, but it means i get very hot even with a decent fan and more importantly that i have to set it all up and pack it away before and after sessions and being a lazy a$rse i know that is sometimes an excuse not to do a session..... and something i'd like to remove !

So my thought's were to set everything up in our barn where i have loads of space, can run an ethernet cable to ensure a good wifi signal, has power and lights but is totally unheated :ohmy: In essence i suppose it would be similar to using a garage in the UK without the dampness found on a soggy island...Through Winter it would mean that the average temperature would be around 5-8º during the day when i'd likely be in there but i wonder if that's going to be too cold ?

Anyone else train in an unheated out building ?
IMHO It will be a bit of a shock to the system for two or three minutes but ideal after that 👍

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Pillar drill envy

Massive garage/workshop envy

Mattk50

MattK50
I'd love to have a garage or outbuilding. I have a shed that I am thinking of destroying for some proper concrete based structure for the winters but then the problem of the shed stuff. At the moment I'm just out on the patio which annoyingly is also not quite level.

Marino.g

Veteran
Planning my Winter set up for the Turbo and want something that will be permanently set up over those few months. So far i've used my Turbo and Rollers in our utility room that is very warm all year round, but it means i get very hot even with a decent fan and more importantly that i have to set it all up and pack it away before and after sessions and being a lazy a$rse i know that is sometimes an excuse not to do a session..... and something i'd like to remove !

So my thought's were to set everything up in our barn where i have loads of space, can run an ethernet cable to ensure a good wifi signal, has power and lights but is totally unheated :ohmy: In essence i suppose it would be similar to using a garage in the UK without the dampness found on a soggy island...Through Winter it would mean that the average temperature would be around 5-8º during the day when i'd likely be in there but i wonder if that's going to be too cold ?

Anyone else train in an unheated out building ?
Graeme Obree who you should be familiar with has a different view and is concerned about breathing cold air. Having said that I’ve trained in the garage for years with no heating and haven’t suffered any I’ll effects so far!!
I’ve pasted a section below from his interesting training book.
“breathing in cold air at a maximum aerobic rate is a route to ill health as much as anything. The main problem is that the lungs do not work efficiently if the temperature is low, and therefore in spring, when you want to be seeing effort by effort gains in power, you will struggle in the cold. The solution to this can be twofold. You can agree to train indoors at a set-up spot when it is cold or you can get a fan heater (actually, it takes about three to heat a garage and still have ventilation). My advice on this is that if you are stuck in the garage then use three fan heaters but let your partner think there is only one. If you do train indoors, make sure you have ventilation as well as heating”.

D

Deleted member 1258

Here's mine. I start off in a thin top or tee shirt but its off after 5 mins or so. I also now have a bigger fan.

View attachment 544743

Ain't training rigs come on! 1990's, in the shed in the dark, a walkman for some music, a heart monitor, working to heart rate then, and a torch so I could see the heart monitor.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
Graeme Obree who you should be familiar with has a different view and is concerned about breathing cold air. Having said that I’ve trained in the garage for years with no heating and haven’t suffered any I’ll effects so far!!
I’ve pasted a section below from his interesting training book.
“breathing in cold air at a maximum aerobic rate is a route to ill health as much as anything. The main problem is that the lungs do not work efficiently if the temperature is low, and therefore in spring, when you want to be seeing effort by effort gains in power, you will struggle in the cold. The solution to this can be twofold. You can agree to train indoors at a set-up spot when it is cold or you can get a fan heater (actually, it takes about three to heat a garage and still have ventilation). My advice on this is that if you are stuck in the garage then use three fan heaters but let your partner think there is only one. If you do train indoors, make sure you have ventilation as well as heating”.

I think he also talked about his 3 step breathing method in order to "pre-heat" the inward air as well, good point really

Top Bottom