Turbo trainer and rear wheel bearing damage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tommy2

Über Member
I have some vision team 30 wheels, which are on my good bike, it spends most of its time on the turbo trainer at the minute 2-3 Times a week so not done a great deal of mileage outdoors (maybe 1000km) and only been ridden in the wet twice and washed with a hose twice, is it possible that the turbo trainer has cause the rear wheel bearings to grind?
Maybe locking it in too tightly?

I've changed them now, but the front wheels is still silent and spins for days!!!

S-Express

Unlikely - the roller pressure is not going to be worse than having your entire body weight going through it while you are riding on the road.

OP
OP
Tommy2

Tommy2

Über Member
I was thinking more from the sides where you lock the skewer in place maybe compressing the bearings from the outside?
Im not convinced that's possible, like doing the qr skewer so tight it damages the bearings???

Yes, clamp pressure does compress the bearings. Quick releases do this and good mechanics adjust bearings to compensate for QR clamp pressure. Your trainer is probably one of those with large hand screws each side. This can compress cup-and-cone bearings way beyond their comfortable operating limit. If you use that wheel on a trainer only, discuss the issue with a competent mechanic who will then adjust them so that there is play in the cones when the wheel is off the trainer but which will be squeezed out once the bike is in the trainer.

OP
OP
Tommy2

Tommy2

Über Member
It is a screw trainer er but the bearings are sealed press in type not adjustable cup and cone.
I have a spare wheel that the rim has worn just enough to not use on the road so I may just use that for the turbo, jut needs a 10spd cassette on it.

It is a screw trainer er but the bearings are sealed press in type not adjustable cup and cone.
I have a spare wheel that the rim has worn just enough to not use on the road so I may just use that for the turbo, jut needs a 10spd cassette on it.
I can or could not happen with cartridge bearings too. I just don't know what the wheel's bearing assembly looks like.

Red17

Veteran
I've had similar problems with vision team 30 bearings packing in after very short milages. Front went first (was side to side movement in the bearing) and now rear is doing the same (its also on my trainer at the moment).

When I did a search on the internet I found quite a few references to early bearing failure with these wheels. I changed the front (easy enough job) but haven't got round to doing the rear as yet. From my experience I'd err towards them using cheap bearings rather then blame the turbo.

Reactions: gbb
OP
OP
Tommy2

Tommy2

Über Member
Someone I know has some team 35's newer than mine and his bearings have got a lot of play already, mine didn't have play just really horrible grinding from the rear.

Top Bottom