Turbo Trainer for Fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedBike

If you fly of the rollers at speed your lack of momentum will mean you dont zip accross the room but the wheel spinning at speed will possibly friction burn the carpet :biggrin: Believe me, it can happen, I've burnt another carpet with a bike wheel when spinning it then dropping the bike down onto the carpet to stop the wheel, lol - A moment of idiocy.

Lol.
I've just started gently riding on my rollers again to try and build some strength back up in a fractured ankle.

The other day I set the rollers up in the garden as it was so nice out. I positioned the rollers in the middle of an open gateway so that I had a wall either side to grab when needed.

Unfortunately after riding for 3/4mins the ankle started to stiffen up and I could no longer pedal smoothly enough to remain balanced. I simply reached a hand out towards the open metal gate to steady myself.

Now, can you remember those Vandergraph generators they used to have in schools to demonstate electrical charge?

When my hand was almost touching the garden gate this bolt of blue lightning zapped off my fingers towards the gate. It wasn't a painfull electric/static shock but it was completely unexpected.

I jumped a mile causing the bike to fall off the rollers leaving this lovely burnt rubber tyre mark on my path.

Although my dismount wasn't exactly planned. I did somehow get a foot down before I fell down.

edit: Got confused.

Its more to do with the shape of the nut than anything else I think, if you are unlucky you default QR wont fit so you have to use the one supplied, sometimes you can use whatever skewer is on your bike, or so I believe.

So If it will grab the nut it should be fine. So assuming the nut is wide enough and fits into the clamp it should be good to go.

The problem I had getting the fixie on the turbo was you couldn't wind the clamps in far enough to hold a narrow track frame. I had to buy a set of track nuts that looked like BMX stunt pegs. Effectively making the rear of the bike wider.

AlanW

Guru
RedBike said:
The problem I had getting the fixie on the turbo was you couldn't wind the clamps in far enough to hold a narrow track frame. I had to buy a set of track nuts that looked like BMX stunt pegs. Effectively making the rear of the bike wider.

Where did you get them from?

This is my problem, I cannot wind the clamps in far enough to clamp the rear wheel.

OP
OP
Rob3rt

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
RedBike said:
Lol.
I've just started gently riding on my rollers again to try and build some strength back up in a fractured ankle.

The other day I set the rollers up in the garden as it was so nice out. I positioned the rollers in the middle of an open gateway so that I had a wall either side to grab when needed.

Unfortunately after riding for 3/4mins the ankle started to stiffen up and I could no longer pedal smoothly enough to remain balanced. I simply reached a hand out towards the open metal gate to steady myself.

Now, can you remember those Vandergraph generators they used to have in schools to demonstate electrical charge?

When my hand was almost touching the garden gate this bolt of blue lightning zapped off my fingers towards the gate. It wasn't a painfull electric/static shock but it was completely unexpected.

I jumped a mile causing the bike to fall off the rollers leaving this lovely burnt rubber tyre mark on my path.

Although my dismount wasn't exactly planned. I did somehow get a foot down before I fell down.

Hah! Yeah thats my problem, the turbo I tried before in Evans wouldnt wind in far enough, hence the root of my thread, asking if there were any turbo's that would wind in enough. Looks like I'll have to look into these Tacx track nuts and a Tacx turbo, unless the nuts will work with CycleOps, which appear to be nice trainers with good reviews.

RedBike

Rob3rt said:
Hah! Yeah thats my problem, the turbo I tried before in Evans wouldnt wind in far enough, hence the root of my thread, asking if there were any turbo's that would wind in enough. Looks like I'll have to look into these Tacx track nuts and a Tacx turbo, unless the nuts will work with CycleOps, which appear to be nice trainers with good reviews.

For a while I got away with screwing two nuts onto each side of the axle, although the outside nut was always only just on and not really that secure. Eventually I ended up ordering the Tacx track nuts.

See fjb1971's blog! ^^^^^^^^^^^

You will need to double check the ends of the clamps on the cycleOps trainers but I can't see any reason why the Tacx nuts wouldn't work with them.

Top Bottom