Turbo trainer help please guys and gals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I can't imagine you playing hamsters, all your ride reports look as if you like getting out in the countryside.

I do get out there, but when it's snowing like last year and we couldn't get out at all, and even tractors couldn't get up the lane, then a turbo trainer is better than nothing, and I can do it while watching a film, or the BBC I player, or going onto you tube, they have videos showing cycle rides through cities, or in the country, of various distances and time. Its better than not doing any training at all.

stephec

Legendary Member
I do get out there, but when it's snowing like last year and we couldn't get out at all, and even tractors couldn't get up the lane, then a turbo trainer is better than nothing, and I can do it while watching a film, or the BBC I player, or going onto you tube, they have videos showing cycle rides through cities, or in the country, of various distances and time. Its better than not doing any training at all.
Training?

That sounds far too serious.

I bought an Elite turbo a few years ago with the intention of following Pete Read's black book.

I managed to get about half way through it before terminal boredom set in. :smile:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Training?

That sounds far too serious.

I bought an Elite turbo a few years ago with the intention of following Pete Read's black book.

I managed to get about half way through it before terminal boredom set in. :smile:

It is boring, but better than nothing at all.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
When it's too bad to go out I imagine I'm out. I sit staring trance like at the wall till I get into the zone and my Ying falls in tune with my Yang. I then do an imaginary ride, 35 miles at 20mph and some savage attacks on the longer climbs leaving my imaginary riding buddies (De Vlaeminck, Poulidor, Lemond, Van Impe, Kelly) floundering on my wheel as one by one I drop them before the crest. If you do it properly it really does have a physical benefit and I'm exhausted at the end of it.

Much better than faffing about on those stupid turbot contraptions.

stephec

Legendary Member
Just bought an Elite Turbo Trainer from Wiggle. Not bought a Turbo Tyre. Yet.
Do I really need one?
I've never used one, just whatever's on the wheel at the time.

I did notice a bit of shininess on the tyre after using it, but that soon disappeared once out on the road.

If you're using a knobbly MTB tyre rather than a slick road tyre though expect a lot of noise.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I run it on a hallway carpet runner I got from Aldi.

Top Bottom