Turbo trainer (no power)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LewisLondon

I think I already (sadly) know the answer to this one, but am appealing to the masses in case anybody knows another way.

After failing to get permission (from teh boss) to permanently have a turbo set up in the living room, my only real option is to put in in the bike storage area in the underground car park of my flat. No issue with this, plenty of room down there and it's always really cold, which makes up (v v slightly) for the lack of fan.

My issue is, however, there is no electricity points down there. I already know that my ability to concentrate on a "dumb" trainer would be non-existent, and I would have to run a smart trainer off trainerroad for it to keep me interested.

Any ideas at all?

S-Express

Run sufferfest videos off a laptop (on battery) - or buy a portable power pack, or run an extension lead from the nearest socket. You'll need a fan for whatever you do, cold or not.

OP
OP
L

LewisLondon

Does sufferfest not control the turbo?

The point about the fan is a fair point - this would completely cut out the underground being an option (without a portable power pack), as no sockets around at all!

CXRAndy

Guru
A small generator or car battery inverter to run turbo trainer. The turbo doesn't take a great deal of energy/power

Red17

Veteran
The tacx satori smart trainer is slightly more than a dumb trainer in that it transmits power data that can be detected by a laptop / tablet running Trainer Road with the correct dongle, and doesn't need a power supply - you will have to change gears to interact with the software to hit the power targets though as trainer road will not control it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A compatible dumb trainer will work with Zwift. If you have a decent laptop you might get an hour on laptop battery at most. You just need the garmin speed and cadence sensor with an Ant+ adapter for the laptop

Top Bottom