Turbo Trainer Novice Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

junkie_ball

Hi,

Sure this question has been asked a million times and if so please bare with me. I'm considering getting a turbo for when i get home late and cannot be bothered to hit the streets in the dark. I have been doing some research and think if i did get a turbo trainer i would like a spare wheel with a trainer tire fitted. Firstly to avoid wearing my road tire down, secondly just for ease of setting the trainer up.

My current rear cassette is a shimano HG50 9 speed 11-30 so am i right in saying if i brought a cheap wheel and fitted an identical cassette i would avoid any indexing problems between the two wheels? Also i have 700x32c tires but having a quick look around I cannot see any turbo trainer specific tires. Does anyone know if they make them in this size?

Sods_Laur

You could pick a narrower tyre for your trainer wheel, as you're not riding outside it won't matter. Also I'm not convinced specific trainer tyres are worth the money.

In terms of setting a bike up on the trainer it's really the work of two minutes. In all honesty I would spend the money you'd put in on a spare wheel and cassette on a better trainer.

But others may differ on this.

Why bother changing the wheel over, just get a turbo specific bike and leave it set up permanently :thumbsup:

As for turbo tyres, depends on how much you plan to use the turbo, and/ or how many old tyres you have kicking about, but from new a turbo tyre will last a lot longer on a turbo than a road tyre.

D

Deleted member 18052

Get a set of rollers instead, i'm really tempted at the moment!

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..

got and good prices yet..?

links.?

could you explain this..?

it's a long winter up here in Scotland and i may/am considering a 'trainer' for the winter

turbo or rollers.?

thanks
Both but rollers I would probably just use an ordinary tyre.
Turbo tyre is much harder compound that is more resilient to the forces applied by a turbo and dissipates the heat generated better. (Also meant to be quieter.)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

Rollers are no good if you want to do hard efforts, generally speaking. My rollers, I can barely get above 280W on them in the biggest gear (53:11) spinning over 120 rpm. Absolutely no chance of doing an effort at 400+ W!

arch684

Veteran
hi I would go for the spare wheel with a turbo tyre. i would advise you to buy a large fan to help keep cool, you sweat buckets on a turbo

Top Bottom