Turbo trainer related ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steam Pig

I bought a turbo trainer a couple of years back and used it only a dozen or so times (too boring). Recently after a ride out I noticed a 'rumbling' from my back wheel, after stripping the bearings down one side (non drive side) cup, cone and bearings were very badly damaged and the cassette side were slightly damaged. Could this be due to over tightening the turbo clamp?

S-Express

Impossible to say, one way or the other.

adscrim

Veteran
I would have thought that excess compression would have resulted in the wheel not turning smoothly and not pitting to the bearings a cups. Is it possible that there has been some water ingress while the bike has been sitting unused? Damaged seal perhaps?

OP
OP
Steam Pig

Steam Pig

Yes, the worst affected side definitely looked like corrosion, but the cone bearings definitely had noticeable scoring, I only really want to if compression is a possibility before the wife puts her brand new bike on there

S-Express

Turbos do not routinely destroy hub bearings, if that's what you are asking. As long as you are following the manufacturer's advice on clamping force correctly, there should be no issue.

Top Bottom