Turbo trainer tyre slipping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

I have an Elite Mag trainer and it was always fine last winter no slipping. Now when I use it between resistance 4-5 the tyre slips. I have tried different pressures. It has some small crack around it. Should I just purchase a new one, this was bought from Halfords for £8.
Should this tyre have so many cracks in it so quickly, it is about a year old.

You don't say what type of tyre you have on there so I assume it is a standard road tyre. These don't work well with trainers with smooth rollers, especially as they get a bit older. For best results, use a special trainer tyre. A few companies make them, usually yellow.

OK, in that case, lets have a good look at the tyre's surface and the trainer roller's surface. Also, is the spring that presses the roller against the tyre in good order. Does it all move smoothly?

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

OK, in that case, lets have a good look at the tyre's surface and the trainer roller's surface. Also, is the spring that presses the roller against the tyre in good order. Does it all move smoothly?
There are a few small cracks all over the tyre. The roller surface does have a slight black line on it. Yes the unit runs really well and is smooth. I'm just getting tyre squeal when pushing hard.

vickster

Legendary Member
I've got an unused Vittoria turbo tyre for around £12 delivered if you want something branded

S-Express

Increase the roller pressure

Top Bottom