Turbo Trainer Vs The Gym

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

DustBowlRefugee said:
I wanted to find an alternative to going out on my bike, like if it's raining or snowing or even dark. I live in the countryside with only single track roads, no lighting and high hedges so as soon as the leaves fall it's a slippery carpet until the frost and ice starts...

can't cycle because of fallen leaves? You're starting to sound like network rail.

OP
OP
DustBowlRefugee
bonj said:
can't cycle because of fallen leaves? You're starting to sound like network rail.

Very helpfull. I'm so glad you joined this thread!

BTW thanks for the genuinely constructive comments above.

wafflycat

DustBowlRefugee said:
I wanted to find an alternative to going out on my bike, like if it's raining or snowing or even dark. I live in the countryside with only single track roads, no lighting and high hedges so as soon as the leaves fall it's a slippery carpet until the frost and ice starts...

Decent lighting will sort out the darkness problem (I too live in the countryside with narrow roads & 2 x Cateye HL-EL530s up front light up the entire width of the road & a goodly distance ahead). A not exactly cheap solution to the icy times is to get a recumbent trike - great fun and much more stable on icy roads than a two-wheeled upright :ohmy:

Don't rise Dustbowl... don't rise :ohmy:

I know from living in the country on singletracks, like you, that cycling can be a bit dicy at times on the road and not even my worst city weather commute, compares to a bad day in the sticks.

I still recommend a turbo over a gym bike but a gym bike would do for the odd occasion, anything more regular get a turbo. I bought mine last winter wondering if I'd use it and I've found it to be excellent at keeping me going when I might otherwise have not bothered (mind you my nearest gym is an hour and a ferry ride away :biggrin:)

bonj2

i'd still love to see a decent vid on youtube of soneone being tipped off a turbo trainer on a fixy and go smack bang into the up and over door. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom