Turbo Trainer Vs The Gym

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

Can anyone explain the advantage of using a turbo trainer over the exercise bikes in the gym. I already have a gym membership which I pay for and they have the normal upright and recumbant excercise bikes. I was toying with the idea of getting a turbo trainer for the winter but wonder if there is any real advantage over the gym kit? I am led to believe that with a turbo trainer I have to put towels all over the place as the sweat will rot my bike and that I need to buy a fan to keep cool. This seems a right pain in the arse when compared to jumping in the car and going to the gym which is already air-conditioned and has a little telly to watch on each bike. Is there a specific benefit to a turbo trainer or is just that I'll be training on (and knackering) my own bike?

Thanks,
Mark.

Bigtallfatbloke

ask yourself one question...

...how many fit nubile lycra clad tanned blondes are there in your garage?

Turbo turbo turbo!!!!!

Gym bikes have appaling geometry.

You don't have to leave home.

You get practice sitting on your own bike, thus you will spot little niggles to correct.

You don't have to pay for gym membership.

While away I just did gym bikes. Turbo is better. Got too hot and sweaty in the gym, HR was way high and the bike was not comfy compared to mine on a turbo.

Turbo in front of a nice film or similiar, everytime.

wafflycat

As much as I hate turbo - much rather be out on the roads - there is a place for turbo and yes, they are better than a gym bike. My son uses a turbo in several ways:-

Warm up before a time trial
Winter indoor training
Yes, to spotting little niggles on your own bike - very useful
Awful geometry of gym bikes
Every time he's used a gym bike he's said he doesn't get as much of a workout than when really going for it on the turbo.

He has been known to take the portable TV & DVD player out to the garage & do a full turbo session whilst watching a favourite DVD

bonj2

The other alternative is RIDE to the gym, taking in the fresh air on the way, do all the unboring upper body stuff while you're there, sit in the sauna for a bit, then RIDE back? I've never understood the point of either static bikes or turbo trainers.

bonj2

I'm not being funny here, but can someone actually explain the benefit of riding your bike while fixed in your garage over riding it on the road (or heaven forbid, off it) - as far as I can see the only advantage is that you haven't got any wind, or that you have got a TV. is that really all there is to it?

bonj2

Has anyone ever been riding their fixie on the turbo trainer and their kids have sneaked up behind them and tipped them off, sending them shooting forwards, pedals a-spinning, smack bang into the garage door? :biggrin: :ohmy:

OP
OP
DustBowlRefugee
bonj said:
The other alternative is RIDE to the gym, taking in the fresh air on the way, do all the unboring upper body stuff while you're there, sit in the sauna for a bit, then RIDE back? I've never understood the point of either static bikes or turbo trainers.

I wanted to find an alternative to going out on my bike, like if it's raining or snowing or even dark. I live in the countryside with only single track roads, no lighting and high hedges so as soon as the leaves fall it's a slippery carpet until the frost and ice starts...

bonj2

DustBowlRefugee said:
I wanted to find an alternative to going out on my bike, like if it's raining or snowing or even dark. I live in the countryside with only single track roads, no lighting and high hedges so as soon as the leaves fall it's a slippery carpet until the frost and ice starts...

then why don't you get an MTB :ohmy:

bonj said:
I'm not being funny here, but can someone actually explain the benefit of riding your bike while fixed in your garage over riding it on the road (or heaven forbid, off it) - as far as I can see the only advantage is that you haven't got any wind, or that you have got a TV. is that really all there is to it?

because sometimes you can't go out or the weather is truly awful or it's pitch black or you're recovering from a virus or you want to control the effort more than a road ride would let you or .................lots of reasons. TV just makes it less boring.

Top Bottom