Turbo trainer - Wi-Fi connections?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gregbrowning79

I'm thinking of putting a turbo trainer in my garage. It's 40 m away from the house and so I can't get Wi-Fi there. Am I able to set up training programs on my iPad (in the house where I have Wi-Fi) and then simply play them back in the garage, or do you need an active Wi-Fi connection during use of a smart trainer? Guidance appreciated.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My 14yo uses a PC in one room and then transmits it to the TV using Chromecast. The cable for the turbo trainer so he can use Zwift is hard-wired to the PC though.

Red17

Veteran
I often turn off wifi using trainerroad once I have loaded a workout on my tablet (seems to stop it hanging when others in the house are using the wifi) although I do need to reconnect to upload when I've finished. I assume it would work similarly with an ipad.

Last edited:

Matty T

Hi - I use the sufferfest videos and you can download three vids and store them at any one time - maybe that might be an option if you can't get Wifi to the cave? Then just erase the one(s) completed and download more. (Sufferfest does have monthly charge tho).

BikeCurious

Über Member
If the garage has power, you can use a powerline extender also.
+1 for powerline extenders. They are so easy to use, you just plug them in. It's what I use in my garage for the turbo trainer. I tried wifi extenders first but the speed was terrible. Powerline adapters all the way if you have power running to the garage. Wifi extenders won't have the 40m range you need.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Wifi can do well more than 40m if you are using a modern one.

JhnBssll

Veteran
I use powerline adapters to connect the PC that runs zwift and a powerline WiFi extender for the tablet to run the companion app. They weren't installed specifically for these tasks mind, I installed them some time before the turbo went in :laugh:

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
+1 for powerline extenders. They are so easy to use, you just plug them in. It's what I use in my garage for the turbo trainer. I tried wifi extenders first but the speed was terrible. Powerline adapters all the way if you have power running to the garage. Wifi extenders won't have the 40m range you need.
I found them a bit pants TBH, kept dropping the signal

JhnBssll

Veteran
They've come a long way since they were first introduced; I've been using TPLink gigabit powerline adapters for a couple of years now to connect IP cameras to my CCTV recorder and they very rarely drop out - I get a signal loss warning from the recorder if they do and it generally only happens if the power trips in the garage. If it trips anywhere else the recorder turns off too so it doesnt matter :laugh:

The other thing that can mess with them is old or faulty electrical equipment on the same ring; they can cause fairly significant interference to the mains power supply which temporarily knocks out the powerline adapters.

Top Bottom