Turbo trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I am going to buy Halfords turbo trainer at £74 tomorrow. I have read good reviews on it so can't be that bad. The weather is so bad at the moment that indoor training seem to be very attractive.

shadow master

I am going to buy Halfords turbo trainer at £74 tomorrow. I have read good reviews on it so can't be that bad. The weather is so bad at the moment that indoor training seem to be very attractive.
Yeah that's not a bad buy,pity its not a gel covered roller,bit noisier and harder on tyres,also you'll need a front wheel riser,or a yellow pages..lol.The £120 pack is probably better value,with gel roller,riser,mat and sweat net.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...

robgul

Legendary Member
... be prepared for boredom of the first order when riding the turbo .... time goes very, very slowly.

If you are near an IKEA they have a black carpet runner for about twelve quid (called something with the usual Scandinavian type name) that's an ideal under-turbo mat ... and a front wheel riser is easy to make with a couple of bits of wood to make a channel shaped block.

Rob

shadow master

A magnetic one offers more consistent resistance,fluid ones vary day to day temperature etc...OK if you are not specific training and just slugging it out,but not consistent enough for recording linear gains

Freds Dad

Veteran
I had a day off yesterday so set mine up in the spare room. I set my ipad up and caught up on a could le of things I'd downloaded. It's also worth setting a fan up to blow at you as it gets quite warm.

Are there any free training videos online I could use instead of watching programmes?

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
I had a day off yesterday so set mine up in the spare room. I set my ipad up and caught up on a could le of things I'd downloaded. It's also worth setting a fan up to blow at you as it gets quite warm.

Are there any free training videos online I could use instead of watching programmes?
https://www.youtube.com/user/Flatrater2010/videos

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUdAMlZtaV13e3-rJq1W0O1kf2DVlslmC

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUdAMlZtaV13A-P20IMwUd5f6axor64MK

jongooligan

Legendary Member
@shadow master , how do you measure progress?

I use this method as recommended by Pete Read (showing my age now). You need some way of measuring speed (I have a computer with the sensor on the back wheel) and a heart rate monitor.
Warm up. Select a gear around 53 x 17 and pedal at 20 mph until your heart rate stabilises. Note your heart rate.
Train for 6 weeks.
Repeat test. Your progress is indicated by how much your heart rate has dropped.

Probably superseded by other methods now but it's always worked for me.

screenman

Legendary Member
... be prepared for boredom of the first order when riding the turbo .... time goes very, very slowly.

If you are near an IKEA they have a black carpet runner for about twelve quid (called something with the usual Scandinavian type name) that's an ideal under-turbo mat ... and a front wheel riser is easy to make with a couple of bits of wood to make a channel shaped block.

Rob

I disagree with the boredom bit, as it depends on how focused you are in the session. I did a 40 minute fat burner last night out of the saddle for too much of it, the time just flew by. GCN is you friend if you cannot do it alone.

screenman

Legendary Member

Thousand of training videos out there have a look at GCN. I did this one last night.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOpbiP3mkJ0

screenman

Legendary Member
I use this method as recommended by Pete Read (showing my age now). You need some way of measuring speed (I have a computer with the sensor on the back wheel) and a heart rate monitor.
Warm up. Select a gear around 53 x 17 and pedal at 20 mph until your heart rate stabilises. Note your heart rate.
Train for 6 weeks.
Repeat test. Your progress is indicated by how much your heart rate has dropped.

Probably superseded by other methods now but it's always worked for me.

I also went to see Peter a couple of times, he gave me the focus I needed to go faster.

shadow master

I've reserved one of these too, but I'm not sure if I'll actually buy it. I find stationary trainers intensely boring, but I have a broken bone and a ride I want to complete in August

@shadow master , how do you measure progress?
Fit a cheap wired speedo on the back wheel,cable will reach on to top tube,so you can see it,set the magnet level 1-5 or whatever,warm up,then start the computer and see how far you can cover in 30 mins...best I've had is average speed of 36.2mph covering 18.1 miles in 30 minutes...or ride steady then spin to Max rpm for 15\20seconds back to steady pace for 5 mins then repeat 5-6 times..your Max speeds on the spins are a good indicator of improvement my best is 62mph....plus you never get bored with these short targeted workouts.

Top Bottom