turbo trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

terryox

Regular
looking for help with upcoming purchase of indoor turbo trainer ... Zwift compatible.... wheel on, any decent offers around , second hand / new any thoughts or advice most welcome....budget less that 500

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My son's got an Elite Zumo. A bit loud but appears to be quite accurate for Zwift and Zwift racing. It was pretty easy to set up and cost us £425 from Halfords, less BC's 10% discount.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good luck in getting one - they are like rocking horse poo, and second hand prices are sky high. Basic but reliable Smart trainer, the Tacx T2240, under £200. Had mine 4 years.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I managed to get the Elite Novo Smart at the beginning of April.
I was doing a search and spotted one in stock in a Halfords in Edinburgh which is 2 miles from where our daughter lives. She did a click and collect and then shipped it to me down here on the South Coast.

The Novo smart is a Halfords own brand, further investigation revealed that it is a rebadged Elite Qubo.

I've no previous experience of Smart trainers but it was easy to set up and seems quite accurate with regard to effort on (virtual) hills etc.

We set it up with my wife's bike and although the bike is too small for me we swap out our own seatpost/saddle between rides and it's OK.
Currently just over 500km into a virtual LeJog using the Rouvy app.

EDIT:
£180 from Halfords.

kj92

Following on from this one - Anyone know a bike trainer which will work with a Brompton?

Tenkaykev

Guru
Following on from this one - Anyone know a bike trainer which will work with a Brompton?

I looked into it a while back and it's not really practicable. The " Wheel On" turbos use a skewer which the Brompton chain tensioner doesn't suit, plus the wheels are too small ( someone did try adapting a trainer with bits of wood to try and get a working solution but it was a bit of a kludge and not too stable IIRC)

I believe that the " Roller" trainers would work but they looked very " fall offable" from what I could see.

I've not seen a smart turbo available lately for less than £850 but after discount last year I got an Elite Suito for just over £500, the Elite Sumo is cheaper but has no cassette and I think the old Elite Directo was available at the time for similar money. Ironically I upgraded my turbo back then (going Smart) when I was told chemo would stop me getting out, it didn't but I didn't expect to be using it now :rolleyes:

Hudson1984

Über Member
I use a Tacx 2240, does all of the above and cost me £100 off ebay (before lockdown though)
added an ANT+ dongle and use it on a 32" tv.

Jaykun85

Just bought myself a Turbo trainer, Wahoo Kickr with the Climbr I know everyone raves on Zwift, if there any similar where you can plan a route to ride say I wanted to do a virtual landsend to John o Groates?

Tenkaykev

Guru
Just bought myself a Turbo trainer, Wahoo Kickr with the Climbr I know everyone raves on Zwift, if there any similar where you can plan a route to ride say I wanted to do a virtual landsend to John o Groates?
I got a turbo trainer from Halfords just after lockdown started. It's a Elite Novo Smart.
Mrs Tenkay and I have tried out several apps before settling on Rouvy as they do a family membership.
I've cycled LEJOG and am currently at Bristol on my way back though I'm following a different route.
Mrs Tenkay is exploring various Scottish islands.
Rouvy has a lot of video routes from all around the world. The long distance routes such as LEJOG that I mentioned are more basic, a contour line overlaid on a birds eye Google earth map and as such is not in any great detail. It is a route that has been ridden by someone and the GPX file uploaded to Rouvy.

Jaykun85

I got a turbo trainer from Halfords just after lockdown started. It's a Elite Novo Smart.
Mrs Tenkay and I have tried out several apps before settling on Rouvy as they do a family membership.
I've cycled LEJOG and am currently at Bristol on my way back though I'm following a different route.
Mrs Tenkay is exploring various Scottish islands.
Rouvy has a lot of video routes from all around the world. The long distance routes such as LEJOG that I mentioned are more basic, a contour line overlaid on a birds eye Google earth map and as such is not in any great detail. It is a route that has been ridden by someone and the GPX file uploaded to Rouvy.

oh that sounds pretty good .. I may have to give that a go :smile: and let you know how I get on

Trull

Über Member
Just searching for an Elite Suito, all the usual suspects are out of stock, I'm near Aberdeen so the choice of shops locally is a bit limited too. Any ideas?

Top Bottom