Turbo Trainers and Tyre Wear.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have recently purchased a Cycleops magnetic turbo trainer from Winstanley Cycles on the net. It arrived to day so i have spent some time tonight putting it together and attaching my road bike. As i am wanting to give it a good spin tomorrow i though i would give it a quick test run tonight. After 2-3 minutes i noticed a strong smell of burning rubber and also the rear tyre looked a little worn.

Have i got the resistance mechanism on too tight or is it common for the trainer to cause abnormal wear on the tyres?

If it is the latter it will cost me a fortune in new tyres and i will be better off carrying on with the spinning classes at the gym.

just jim

You may have to tweak the roller and take some pressure off, but it'll still wear your tyres out, or flatten the tread which I understand makes them unsafe.
A trainer tyre is designed to withstand the wear from a trainer. I found mine difficult to fit on the wheel, but it is very hard wearing, and quiet.
What I did was buy a cheap wheel off eBay and use that as a the trainer wheel. Swapping the tyre round got to be a pain!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Probably way too much pressure - just enough to induce a slight 'slip' when you sprint I'd say.

I've used Mich Pro Race tyres without any issues.

gbb

Legendary Member
Yup, as fossy says, too much pressure.
I have the same turbo and i run with my normal tyres (gatorskins) with no issues at all. I always have it set with just the miniumum pressure, but i just plod on mine, a steady pace. If you want to ''sprint' as part of your workout, best increase the pressure a little (but obviously less than you're running now)

e-rider

crappy member
you want the minimum pressure that prevents the tyre from slipping; nothing more than that.

I find the trainer tyres overpriced

You can buy 3 or even 4 normal cheap tyres for the price of one trainer tyre - with the advantage that you could still use them on the road in an (financial)emergency.

So my advice is to buy cheapo tyres with a slick central section rather than spending a fortune on a specific trainer tyre

snicker

you want the minimum pressure that prevents the tyre from slipping; nothing more than that.

I find the trainer tyres overpriced

You can buy 3 or even 4 normal cheap tyres for the price of one trainer tyre - with the advantage that you could still use them on the road in an (financial)emergency.

So my advice is to buy cheapo tyres with a slick central section rather than spending a fortune on a specific trainer tyre

Turbo trainer tyres cost about £20, tell me where you can buy 4 normal cheap tyres for a fiver each.
Turbo trainer tyres are designed for the job, I've had one for 5 yrs. now, and no sign of wear at all, and no burning rubber smell.

e-rider

crappy member
Turbo trainer tyres cost about £20, tell me where you can buy 4 normal cheap tyres for a fiver each.
Turbo trainer tyres are designed for the job, I've had one for 5 yrs. now, and no sign of wear at all, and no burning rubber smell.

OK, the Continental trainer tyre has a list price of £29.99 but can be bought online for about £22.

Vittoria Zaffiro Slick tyres are £6.16 each from Ribble Cycles - that is approximately 1/4 of the price.

Also, Michelin Dynamics and Michelin World Tour tyres are £5.98 each on CRC.

snicker

you couldn't go 10 yards on those tyres without puncturing!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Any £10 tyre is good enough. I've use Pro Race (£30 is) without problem. I have a spare set of wheels with a cheap tyre on - too much roller pressure causes problems.

That said, I hate the Turbo.......may have used it a couple of times 12 months ago, then got spiky tyres !!!

Will deffo be using it for a few weeks after my shoulder op....that's where they are good for, and recovery.

RhysB

I've got a Vittoria Zaffiro Pro from Wiggle, £15.99 delivered. Using it on a Tacx Sirius Soft Gel Magnetic and its brought the noise down loads compared to my road tyre too. There was a loud hum on the road tyre all the time, now the hum starts to get going when its on the middle front ring and about half resistance. Using on the small ring warming up its really quiet so a bonus to the tyre wear :biggrin:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/vittoria-zaffiro-pro-home-trainer-tyre/

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Reading various forums where people have reported cracked frames, particularly round the chainstays, I wonder what percentage have been used on a turbo? I don't like the idea of a frame being locked rigidly in like that with all the stress concentrated in one area.

I would only ever use a skip bike on one of those things.

e-rider

crappy member
I have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(actually, what I think happened is that I was using a repaired tube, and the heat generated on the roller caused teh glue to soften and the patch lift/leak)

otherwise check the tyre contact area for sharp objects such as glass, hawthorn bush cuttings or hyperdermic needles!

Top Bottom