Turbo trainers - is it about the miles or the effort?

Miles or HIT on a turbo

• HIT

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • MILES

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

I seem to be struggling with the longer harder HIIT sessions I tried a 25min obe last weekend and lasted about 15mins before crashing and burning big time.

Can you describe what your 'HIIT' session actually looks like? If you are not completing the session, then the target effort level and/or duration is simply too hard for you - there is no other explanation. So you either need to reduce the intensity, or the interval length, or both. But knowing what it looks like would be useful.

uclown2002

Guru
So I just need to stop feeling dispondent about 4 or 5 miles on the bike and think of it as a gym work out and sweat my butt off?

I am very tempted to try one of the virtual trainer options but I just don't feel I have the stamina or fitness to make the most of the software currently.

I seem to be struggling with the longer harder HIIT sessions I tried a 25min obe last weekend and lasted about 15mins before crashing and burning big time.

Out on the road I average 5 miles per 22 mins so still have a long way to go until I can reduce the 5min mile mark down and up my average speed from around 11/12mph to 15mph which is my aim next year.

I'd be clocking up the miles/time in the saddle rather than focusing on HIIT.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I have a fluid turbo trainer with a defined power curve and no resistance control for cheating. I work out to a structured video that lasts 45 minutes, and while I have an HR monitor I never use it. Instead I track distance and cadence and that is sufficient for me to set goals and track progress. Throughout the winter I do 3 to 4 such workouts per week and I lose about 1kg of sweat during a single workout. I have now completed 2 winters on the turbo trainer and I'm starting my 3rd winter.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have a fluid turbo trainer with a defined power curve and no resistance control for cheating. I work out to a structured video that lasts 45 minutes, and while I have an HR monitor I never use it. Instead I track distance and cadence and that is sufficient for me to set goals and track progress. Throughout the winter I do 3 to 4 such workouts per week and I lose about 1kg of sweat during a single workout. I have now completed 2 winters on the turbo trainer and I'm starting my 3rd winter.
My turbo session is 45 mins as well to a you tube video , i only have a basic magnetic turbo with resistance but like you im a pool of sweat even though im in a shed in just shorts and shirt this weather .

screenman

Legendary Member
My turbo sessions vary depending on what I want to achieve, I would not want at my age every session to be a max effort. Nor would I want every session the same, as the need to beat your last distance can often destroy either your mind or the session.

JtB

What are your cadence goals?
My target cadence range just allows me to select an appropriate gear, so it's not really a performance goal as such.

My turbo sessions vary depending on what I want to achieve, I would not want at my age every session to be a max effort. Nor would I want every session the same, as the need to beat your last distance can often destroy either your mind or the session.
A very good point, but I still need to track my workouts otherwise I have nothing to show for them and that doesn't help with my motivation.

My normal average speed over a 45 minute workout is between 17.5 to 18 mph. However, since I've been off the bike for 3 months with a prolapsed disc and I've only just started back on the turbo trainer then I can currently only manage about 15 minutes at an average of 16 mph. I'm not going to try and increase my performance with every workout, but at least I have a rough idea of where I want to be next spring in readiness for getting back out on the road.

screenman

Legendary Member
You can test yourself easily, however I suggest not making every session a test. I used to find the turbo great for a gently hour the day after a hard ride for instance.

The speeds have no relevance to road speed, however if you calibrate your turbo before each test session then they can make the test more accurate.

JtB

The speeds have no relevance to road speed, however if you calibrate your turbo before each test session then they can make the test more accurate.
Agreed, my speeds are not intended to provide an absolute measure of what my performance would be if I were on the road, but rather a relative measure from one workout to another. One of the reasons why I went for a fluid trainer with no resistance control was so that it had the same defined power curve for each workout and so I could easily track my progress.

screenman

Legendary Member
You can track your progress, but to do it well needs the turbo calibrating. The important thing in mind my is to do what you are doing, be active not inactive and keep smiling.

screenman

Legendary Member
Turbo day today mrs ck didnt surface till late again so the club run had already left,sunday dinner so by the time im ready to ride to be dark.

This laying in thing may be catching, I did not here the wife going around the house with the vacuum on until 5.30 this morning.

Top Bottom