Turbo Trainers

gmw492

Hi, anyone recommend a good turbo trainer or any links to previous threads.Looking for a fluid one really as I believe they are quieter than magnetic ones and direct drive ones are too dear,thanks :wacko::okay:

BSRU

A Human Being
Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro:okay:

CycleOps Fluid 2 does the business for me. Paid less than £200 at Wiggle. They still have it at that price. Between that and KK Road Machine but the Fluid 2 was £70 cheaper.

screenman

Legendary Member
If you could get one second hand a Cateye cs-1000, our are both over 20 years old and take a pasting, they were also good enough for Sir Chris.

OP
gmw492

gmw492

Just checking out the Reviews on the Elite Qubo Power fluid For around £160-180 ish :reading:

screenman

Legendary Member
This is worth £150 of anybodies money, if I did not have a spare or it was not collect only I would be bidding for it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CYCLE-TURBO-TRAINER-/191578779537?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c9afc2f91

NorvernRob

I've used one of these for the last two winters (and through this spring with the rubbish weather).

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-qubo-wireless-digital-trainer/

It's a real bargain IMO. Pretty quiet, electronic resistance, head unit with calculated speed/cadence/power (which is very close to the virtual power I get from Trainer Road, the cadence reads identically to a cadence sensor I have on the bike). It has built in programs, plus Apps available which with an ANT+ PC/Apple adaptor allow you to plot a route anywhere in the world and the trainer will vary the resistance to replicate the route. You can also create your own workouts.

sannesley

Just starting to look for a turbo trainer myself and wonder if someone could answer a question. Do you have to fiddle about with the rear wheel on them all?

What I mean by that is do you have to change the rear wheel to a spare extra wheel when you use the trainer?

Are there any that you can just clip your bike as-is into and start pedalling?

Asa Post

Small lungs, weak legs
Just starting to look for a turbo trainer myself and wonder if someone could answer a question. Do you have to fiddle about with the rear wheel on them all?

What I mean by that is do you have to change the rear wheel to a spare extra wheel when you use the trainer?

Are there any that you can just clip your bike as-is into and start pedalling?
You don't have to use a different rear wheel. Some people choose to, and some don't. I've always used the bike exactly as it is set up to ride on the road. I've never had a problem with lack of grip or excessive tyre wear, which are the usual reasons given for having a dedicated turbo rear wheel.
As you say - just clip in and start pedalling.

BUT...
If your usual tyres have a pronounced tread pattern, it may be better to get a smooth tyre for the turbo. A patterned tyre may wear more quickly, and will certainly make more noise.

Top Bottom