Turbo Trainers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gmw492

Veteran
Hi, anyone recommend a good turbo trainer or any links to previous threads.Looking for a fluid one really as I believe they are quieter than magnetic ones and direct drive ones are too dear,thanks :wacko::okay:

BSRU

A Human Being
Cycleops Jet Fluid Pro:okay:

CycleOps Fluid 2 does the business for me. Paid less than £200 at Wiggle. They still have it at that price. Between that and KK Road Machine but the Fluid 2 was £70 cheaper.

screenman

Legendary Member
If you could get one second hand a Cateye cs-1000, our are both over 20 years old and take a pasting, they were also good enough for Sir Chris.

OP
OP
gmw492

gmw492

Veteran
Just checking out the Reviews on the Elite Qubo Power fluid For around £160-180 ish :reading:

screenman

Legendary Member
This is worth £150 of anybodies money, if I did not have a spare or it was not collect only I would be bidding for it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CYCLE-TUR...537?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c9afc2f91

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
My Daughter in law had one of those and only got a year out of it, it was well used by her though.

The amount of use my Fluid2 took before it gave up is pretty well documented, many hundreds of hours and when it did give up, Paligap sorted it without issue.

NorvernRob

I've used one of these for the last two winters (and through this spring with the rubbish weather).

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-qubo-wireless-digital-trainer/

It's a real bargain IMO. Pretty quiet, electronic resistance, head unit with calculated speed/cadence/power (which is very close to the virtual power I get from Trainer Road, the cadence reads identically to a cadence sensor I have on the bike). It has built in programs, plus Apps available which with an ANT+ PC/Apple adaptor allow you to plot a route anywhere in the world and the trainer will vary the resistance to replicate the route. You can also create your own workouts.

sannesley

Just starting to look for a turbo trainer myself and wonder if someone could answer a question. Do you have to fiddle about with the rear wheel on them all?

What I mean by that is do you have to change the rear wheel to a spare extra wheel when you use the trainer?

Are there any that you can just clip your bike as-is into and start pedalling?

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Just starting to look for a turbo trainer myself and wonder if someone could answer a question. Do you have to fiddle about with the rear wheel on them all?

What I mean by that is do you have to change the rear wheel to a spare extra wheel when you use the trainer?

Are there any that you can just clip your bike as-is into and start pedalling?
You don't have to use a different rear wheel. Some people choose to, and some don't. I've always used the bike exactly as it is set up to ride on the road. I've never had a problem with lack of grip or excessive tyre wear, which are the usual reasons given for having a dedicated turbo rear wheel.
As you say - just clip in and start pedalling.

BUT...
If your usual tyres have a pronounced tread pattern, it may be better to get a smooth tyre for the turbo. A patterned tyre may wear more quickly, and will certainly make more noise.

Top Bottom