Turbo training advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Something like that, sweet spot is not really an official zone, as it is essentially a high tempo/low threshold effort, i.e. you want to work out what range of HR values your tempo zone lies in, same for threshold zone (you can use a generic zone distribution based on your RHR and MHR and fine tune it as you go), then stick to the higher end of the tempo/lower end of the threshold zones. You can't treat these numbers as exact, they just get your somewhere near. A double check is to try have a conversation, at tempo you should be able to get a few words out but not a free flowing conversation.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Actually never seen it, lol. Guess it should be okay, it seems the workout linked will at least provide you with some pacing cues so you don't blow up well short.

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

Its worth ago, i want to join a club in a few months time and im intereseted in road racing so its time i upped my game.

But being 40 its most likely to late, unless saga have a team. lol

Ningishzidda

Don't worry Andy. Elite wouldn't print something on their packaging that was a 'crock of S**t'. The cycling magazines and press would pick up on it and give it a not-so-good review pointing out the charts are 30 % out from testing with a PowerTap.
If that happened, Elite sales would plummet, and they wouldn't want that.
You have to trust Elite's quality control dept to ensure the factory produces something that is +/- 5% at most of the marketing claims, or else they might fall foul of The Trades Description Act.

The 'road load' curve is a rudimentary way of expressing how much power is required to move a rolling vehicle. It's so rudimentary, it is in the very first module of City & Guilds 'Mathematical modelling the motion of objects', which I did during my YTS placement at MacLaren Pushchairs in the seventies.
The turbo trainer has a flywheel and a method of applying load to the roller. The flywheel simulates the inertia of the vehicle. The load increases as speed increases to simulate wind resistance and tyre deformation of the bicycle. It doesn't matter what bike you put on the turbo, its going to have a racebike windage because that's what the turbo's flywheel and load device is simulating. What the turbo doesn't simulate is the bicycle's transmission losses, which is the friction of chain links and its meshing with sprockets; and the rear wheel, pedal & BB bearings.
Correct tyre inflation and tyre pressure on the roller is important too. Read the instruction manual.

:thumbsup:
Don't worry either about being 40 Andy. I'm 53 and still turning <25 minute tens.

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

Ive just done my first session and jesus how much did i sweat lol.
I done 10 mins warm up and 10 mins warm down at about 75% MHR(moderate), and 40 mins at about 85%(tempo).
I had it on resistance setting 2/5 and in 13 gear for warm up and down, and for the 40 min i had it in 15th gear.
Energy output 537kj
Avg power 147w
Ave speed 18.7
Max speed 24.5
Avg HR 149
Max HR 160
Does this look ok.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The absolute numbers of the stats are irrelevant, all that matters is that you worked at the required intensity for the duration intended. If you did then your workout was a success.

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

Well it felt like a workout, i just want to make sure im not a light weight and thought it was harder than it was.
Is it to much if i done this every other day and done 30 mins of high tempo/low threshold session in between. ?

Im so tempted to get on it again.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
TBH, you can probably get away with that, but I would say, maybe 2 tempo, 2 sweet spot and 2 endurance intensity rides might be better, on a long term injury prevention basis. Also don't forget to factor in at least 1 rest day.

OP
OP
A

Andy_G

Sounds good to me.
So ill do 2 of what i done today and without sounding cheeky could you recommend a program i could try ?.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You could ride on a 4 day cycle, Sweet spot (1st day is the highest intensity as you are well rested), endurance, tempo, rest day, repeat.

Top Bottom