TURBO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bill Gates

Brahan said:
I never use a fan. Currently I have my Turbo set up in the greenhouse, which given the current climate is acceptable but clearly it's going to be an issue when the sun starts comming out.

Why do people use a fan? It it just a comfort thing or does the cooling actually have an effect on how well you can train?

When you are training on a turbo the heat will stay with you as are not moving through the air to create a draft. When you are riding on the road then the air temperature experienced will be much cooler than if standing still or walking.

It's similar to when the weather includes a strong wind from the North or East this time of the year. The air temperature might be 2 degrees C but the wind chill might make it feel like -5 degrees C.

The heat will have an effect on raising your HR and causing dehydration. This will impact on your ability to train effectively and overtime could even make you ill. I always drink when on the turbo even for rides of only 20 minutes or so, have an open window, and use a stationary fan placed a couple of feet from the front of the bike.

On the other hand if I'm riding on the road for about 1.5 hours or less then I won't always take a drink unless it's quite warm outside.

Top Bottom