TURBO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martinarchtech

i have not been out on road on bike since end of noveember. i bought a turbo trainer before christmas and have used for 45 - 60 mins per day. i went fro spin thismorning at 8 am but had to turn back because road to icy. what i have found amazing is that i felt ok when back on the road and not wasted after 15 minutes . so my impression of the turbo training is good in maybe it is keeping up the fitness levels. i only started cycling last summer again after 10 yr break. the biggest danger was at the moment was to give up cycling again
eek.gif
. i am only 2 or 3 weeks from buying a trek 2.5 so i need to make sure i aint on the verge of quitting.
i am on the bike essentialy to lose weight , hope to shed 3 stone this year. what motivates you all to keep going, especially someone looking for weight loss like me ?
confused.gif
confused.gif

martin

Attachments

• confused.gif
    confused.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
M

martinarchtech

i have not been out on road on bike since end of noveember. i bought a turbo trainer before christmas and have used for 45 - 60 mins per day. i went fro spin thismorning at 8 am but had to turn back because road to icy. what i have found amazing is that i felt ok when back on the road and not wasted after 15 minutes . so my impression of the turbo training is good in maybe it is keeping up the fitness levels. i only started cycling last summer again after 10 yr break. the biggest danger was at the moment was to give up cycling again
eek.gif
. i am only 2 or 3 weeks from buying a trek 2.5 so i need to make sure i aint on the verge of quitting.
i am on the bike essentialy to lose weight , hope to shed 3 stone this year. what motivates you all to keep going, especially someone looking for weight loss like me ?
confused.gif
confused.gif

martin

Attachments

• confused.gif
    confused.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 33

montage

God Almighty
Turbos are excellent...and sadistic. You can even train harder on them than on the road to the point where you nearly faint/start throwing up if you are that way inclined - to train so hard on the road would just be dangerous.

Best of luck losing your 3 stone, sounds like you are more than on the right way already :biggrin:

montage

God Almighty
Turbos are excellent...and sadistic. You can even train harder on them than on the road to the point where you nearly faint/start throwing up if you are that way inclined - to train so hard on the road would just be dangerous.

Best of luck losing your 3 stone, sounds like you are more than on the right way already ;)

Bill Gates

martinarchtech said:
eek.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

martin

Try getting someone to take a photo of you bare chested, just wearing shorts. Stick it on the wall and write fat bastard under it. I did this a quite few years ago now and it was the best motivation I ever had.

Attachments

• confused.gif
    confused.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 28

Bill Gates

martinarchtech said:
eek.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

martin

Try getting someone to take a photo of you bare chested, just wearing shorts. Stick it on the wall and write fat bastard under it. I did this a quite few years ago now and it was the best motivation I ever had.

Attachments

• confused.gif
    confused.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 32

ASC1951

Guru
If you can use a turbo regularly and effectively you are one of a very rare breed, martinarchtech. Stick with it!

They are monumentally boring. I was on mine every other day the first winter, every other week the next ... and never since. From other comments on here, that's fairly typical. Willpower of a jellyfish and leg muscles to match.

ASC1951

Guru
If you can use a turbo regularly and effectively you are one of a very rare breed, martinarchtech. Stick with it!

They are monumentally boring. I was on mine every other day the first winter, every other week the next ... and never since. From other comments on here, that's fairly typical. Willpower of a jellyfish and leg muscles to match.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I reckon the boredom comes from doing too long a session. I aim for 10 min faff getting it out, 10 min warm up, 30 min max session, 10 min cool down, 10 min faff putting it all away so I'm on the bike for about 50 mins max.

Stick iPlayer on the lappie on something vaguely interesting that you don't have to concentrate too much on, I find documentaries good because you can just listen rather than watch. Listen to your mp3 player, or have the radio on for a fav programme. Buy a training DVD and do the sessions on that. Rent a movie.

Lots of ways to kill the boredom factor and if you concentrate on quality of workout rather than quantity, either length of session or frequency, I've found you can make great strides. But I reckon you need to include recovery time, including active recovery via light turbo sessions if you wish, and if you are using one for general fitness rather than cycling specific fitness you should incorporate a bit of cross training such as walking/jogging/running and upper body resistance work (weights) into your regime. YMMV.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I reckon the boredom comes from doing too long a session. I aim for 10 min faff getting it out, 10 min warm up, 30 min max session, 10 min cool down, 10 min faff putting it all away so I'm on the bike for about 50 mins max.

Stick iPlayer on the lappie on something vaguely interesting that you don't have to concentrate too much on, I find documentaries good because you can just listen rather than watch. Listen to your mp3 player, or have the radio on for a fav programme. Buy a training DVD and do the sessions on that. Rent a movie.

Lots of ways to kill the boredom factor and if you concentrate on quality of workout rather than quantity, either length of session or frequency, I've found you can make great strides. But I reckon you need to include recovery time, including active recovery via light turbo sessions if you wish, and if you are using one for general fitness rather than cycling specific fitness you should incorporate a bit of cross training such as walking/jogging/running and upper body resistance work (weights) into your regime. YMMV.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

Brahan

Über Member
I hadn't done any turbo training this year until last week. I was sick of having to set it up and then clear it all up afterwards so I set it up in the greenhouse last week. My missis thinks I'm terribly sad....I suppose she's right, but I had no other easy option.

martinarchtech - try to have it set up premanently if you have the space in your house, just get an old bike and keep it there for good. Many times before I've been put off turboing due to not being arsed to set the whole thing up.

Brahan

Über Member
I hadn't done any turbo training this year until last week. I was sick of having to set it up and then clear it all up afterwards so I set it up in the greenhouse last week. My missis thinks I'm terribly sad....I suppose she's right, but I had no other easy option.

martinarchtech - try to have it set up premanently if you have the space in your house, just get an old bike and keep it there for good. Many times before I've been put off turboing due to not being arsed to set the whole thing up.

Brahan

Über Member

goose11

martinarchtech said:
eek.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

martin

I have in the last week or two being toying with the idea of getting one of these - something I can collapse and store as only a small flat to use it in.
Primary objective is to increase ability and endurance - ASAP. I'm noticing on my weekend rides that some of the chaps I ride with a starting to make some distance on me - and I'd like to catch that up. From what I understand this is pretty much as efficient a way to improve as any? martinarchtech sounds like you've had some excellent success - any pointers on an 'essentials list' to get going with? Sorry - not intending to hijack the post.

Attachments

• confused.gif
    confused.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 30
Top Bottom