TURBO

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aka0019

I wear my mams headband thingy that she uses for putting her numerous face creams on and on my arms I wear socks that i've cut the bottoms out of. As you can imagine I look great!

Bill Gates

aka0019 said:
I wear my mams headband thingy that she uses for putting her numerous face creams on and on my arms I wear socks that i've cut the bottoms out of. As you can imagine I look great!

;)

Your arms must really sweat under that lot.

mr Mag00

rising member
i enjoy the sweat and dont like the idea of it trapped against my open pores. i drape an old tea cloth over the stem and top tube to absorb and then wash.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I'm sorry I'll say that again...

Ok, I'm going to give the headband thing a go tonight, I'm not planning to exercise in it, I like to watch the sweat drip freely, and have a bike thong for catching it, just want to put a headband on and then look in the mirror, and be ridiculed by everyone in the house.

amaferanga

Veteran
I always make sure I don't get too hot on my turbo/rollers by using fans. The fact that I do my training in the garage also helps, particularly at this time of year.

I hope that those that are clearly getting VERY hot and dripping with sweat are allowing for significant cardiac drift through their session (if using HR to gauge performance) otherwise the workouts could be a little bit less effective than they could be.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Good idea to know what your own sweat rate is too so you know how much fluid to take on board during and afterwards

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Fans... How big are we talking? 12", 14" 16" 20"? Are we talking more than one? Pedestal or floor? Oscillating or stationery? Tower or traditional?

PEOPLE I NEED TO KNOW.....

(because I'm about to buy one)

Garz

Squat Member
I just have a small 6" fan or therabouts on max setting. Whilst this doesnt really cool me much, I dont want to be chilled when I first get on and begin warming up. I wear least amount of clothes possible to delay the sweat however it's inevitable after 20 mins or so, so just have a small towel at hand, headband and a bottle of water.

amaferanga

Veteran
I have two 16" pedestal fans, but at the moment only use one of them. I generally warm-up without the fan, then switch it on when I start my session proper. I'll often wear a long sleeve base layer when the fan is on as I find the cold air on bare arms a bit unpleasant.

If its so cold that I hardly even need the fan I'll often put it on oscillating.

If you're hot and dripping with sweat its very easy to feel like you're pushing hard, but in reality you could be well down on the Watts you'd be putting out on the road for comparable PE.

Seamab

amaferanga said:
I have two 16" pedestal fans, but at the moment only use one of them. I generally warm-up without the fan, then switch it on when I start my session proper. I'll often wear a long sleeve base layer when the fan is on as I find the cold air on bare arms a bit unpleasant.

If its so cold that I hardly even need the fan I'll often put it on oscillating.

If you're hot and dripping with sweat its very easy to feel like you're pushing hard, but in reality you could be well down on the Watts you'd be putting out on the road for comparable PE.

I use a 16" pedestal fan but if buying again i would get a bigger one. I set the turbo up in a cold room and wear a jumper over a vest until warmed up then set the fan on max and away we go...
If the heating has been on in the room previously i cannot exercise nearly as hard even though it feels like it.

Brahan

Über Member
I never use a fan. Currently I have my Turbo set up in the greenhouse, which given the current climate is acceptable but clearly it's going to be an issue when the sun starts comming out.

Why do people use a fan? It it just a comfort thing or does the cooling actually have an effect on how well you can train?

Top Bottom