Turning Handlebars for Travel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eurygnomes

Hi all,

I do apologise for the rather low-tech question I have. I'm soon to be travelling with bike - am new to this, but have figured out how to remove my pedals (and even to make sure I don't force threads the wrong way!). However, I'm not entirely sure I know how to 'turn my handlebars'.

I have a Trek WSD 7.5 which allegedly has am Ahead Slimstak sealed heatset w/semi-cartridge bearings (according to the specs page). By appearances, it looks like this:
IMAG0421A.JPG

The question I have is: in order to turn the handlebars, what do I need to do? Intuitively, I would say I undo the thing at the top (marked A - you might need to click on the photo to see the labels) with an alan-key. But then, upon closer inspection, the two bolts (are these bolts?) at B also look as though they might need loosening in order to swivel things around?

Then: there's the issue with having ergonomic bullhorns of handlebars.
IMAG0422A.JPG

In order to swivel the handlebars DOWN so that the hand grips are also tucked neatly against the frame, do I loosen the bolts at C or do I also loosen those at D too?

As I said, I'm going to practice first...but I thought I'd check on here for advice, before screwing it up and ending up in tears. :smile:

Many thanks in advance,
'Nomes

Ben M

Loosening B will allow you to turn your stem relative to the steerer tube, this is how you turn your handlebars through 90 degrees to make them parallel to your frame.

Removing C and D allows you to remove the front part of the stem to get the bars in and out. If you loosen both you will be able to adjust the angle of your handlebars.

OP
OP
Eurygnomes

Eurygnomes

Loosening B will allow you to turn your stem relative to the steerer tube, this is how you turn your handlebars through 90 degrees to make them parallel to your frame.

Removing C and D allows you to remove the front part of the stem to get the bars in and out. If you loosen both you will be able to adjust the angle of your handlebars.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Will practise then will feel a bit more confident. And will steer (haha) clear of 'A' entirely!

joellen

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU.

Will practise then will feel a bit more confident. And will steer (haha) clear of 'A' entirely!

I use something called a flipphandle which is now on kickstarter. All you have to do is press a button-- it is so easy.. really solves the problem..

joellen

Hi all,

I do apologise for the rather low-tech question I have. I'm soon to be travelling with bike - am new to this, but have figured out how to remove my pedals (and even to make sure I don't force threads the wrong way!). However, I'm not entirely sure I know how to 'turn my handlebars'.

I have a Trek WSD 7.5 which allegedly has am Ahead Slimstak sealed heatset w/semi-cartridge bearings (according to the specs page). By appearances, it looks like this:
[attachment=549:blush:MAG0421A.JPG]

The question I have is: in order to turn the handlebars, what do I need to do? Intuitively, I would say I undo the thing at the top (marked A - you might need to click on the photo to see the labels) with an alan-key. But then, upon closer inspection, the two bolts (are these bolts?) at B also look as though they might need loosening in order to swivel things around?

Then: there's the issue with having ergonomic bullhorns of handlebars.
[attachment=550:blush:MAG0422A.JPG]

In order to swivel the handlebars DOWN so that the hand grips are also tucked neatly against the frame, do I loosen the bolts at C or do I also loosen those at D too?

As I said, I'm going to practice first...but I thought I'd check on here for advice, before screwing it up and ending up in tears. :smile:

Many thanks in advance,
'Nomes

joellen

I use something called a flipphandle. It really solves this very problem with the press of a button. They just launched on kickstarter.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I use something called a flipphandle. It really solves this very problem with the press of a button. They just launched on kickstarter.

Since it is based on a quill extender, I presume the flipphandle will raise the stem and handlebar for a threadless application unless you cut the steerer?

Being a cheapskate, for the princely sum of £2.50 and an allen key, my full sized folder has a system based on replacing the bottom spacer with a seatpost clamp left permanently on the steerer - an idea stolen from Sheldon.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Since it is based on a quill extender, I presume the flipphandle will raise the stem and handlebar for a threadless application unless you cut the steerer?

Being a cheapskate, for the princely sum of £2.50 and an allen key, my full sized folder has a system based on replacing the bottom spacer with a seatpost clamp left permanently on the steerer - an idea stolen from Sheldon.

That would be my choice as well, Problem Solvers do a specific one stocked by SJS:-

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/problem-solvers-locking-headset-spacer-for-1-1-8-inch-black-prod18246/

I'm thinking of getting one to help with my endless bar tinkering, not having to retension the headset each time would be great.

Top Bottom