Turning left across cycle lane

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
If as a driver, you're going to move into a left filter lane, and you see a cyclist not too far behind you in your passenger door mirror, what would you do? The filter lane is to the left of the cycle lane, so you must cut across it.

Today, I (driver) put my indicator on and slowed right down, despite the vehicle in front of me just cutting right across the cyclist. The cyclist is still moving at this point, so I practically stop at which point he proceeds to give me a load of verbal abuse I didn't actually hear. He still doesn't stop though, moving along with my car, so I stop at this point as I am running out of lane. To which I get even more abuse, and finally he stops behind me and I move over.

I have no idea what I did wrong. I may have been a bit hesitant, but I had no idea if he had seen my indicator and/or what his intentions were! I expect nobody would pass somebody turning left, but I don't assume.

Glenn

Veteran

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Just feel I must have done something abuse worthy! When I am cycling, I make it abundantly clear I have no intention of passing the vehicle, by holding right back, and yes many drivers do stop probably out of the same confusion I had - but I never thought to abuse them for 1) noticing me and 2) thinking of me!

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Just feel I must have done something abuse worthy! When I am cycling, I make it abundantly clear I have no intention of passing the vehicle, by holding right back, and yes many drivers do stop probably out of the same confusion I had - but I never thought to abuse them for 1) noticing me and 2) thinking of me!

Sounds rather like the chap in a car behind me yesterday. I was turning left, indicating, but waited for pedestrians to cross the road. This didn't suit the chap behind who beeped me for, what, refusing to run them over I suppose. Some folks are just twats, even, sadly, some cyclists

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I don't know the ins and outs of what occurred and the junction but sounds like you are a conscientious and patient driver. Who knows what the issue was with the cyclist, probably frustration more than anything else.

Reactions: mjr

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just feckin get on with it will you! If you hadn't dithered, prevaricated and spent an age wondering what to do then you would have been long gone before I even got there. Just decide what you are going to do, make sure you are not going to hit anybody when you do it and act with confidence. I'm not blind, I can see what you are doing. There's nothing worse than some clueless numpty who just panics and stops everybody. They shouldn't be on the road if they can't cope with a bit of traffic!

keithmac

Guru
It's quite amusing, there was a thread last week where it's the cyclists god given right to undertake, if the OP had have taken the left and squashed a cyclist he'd be every daffodil under the sun..

For me as a driver I would make sure the cyclist was not going to undertake, as a cyclist behind I would have held a hand up gestured left to let you go.

Top Bottom