Turning right or wrong

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobbles

This is bugging me..........was it me who was wrong?

I was fast approaching a guy going over Westminster bridge this morning going towards town. He's now moving out of the cycle lane signalling right and looking over his shoulder........standard proceedure to get in lane for the right turn onto Embankment. I could either overtake on the right, but as he's signalling and drifting out in front of taxis etc, I continued on the cyclepath which he had now exited. I over/undertook him - cue a barrage of shouting about not overtaking on the left. I explained that he'd left the cyclepath and was signalling right and couldn't see the problem......this went on until he started calling me names. Then proceeding to shoot a red light.
For what it's worth I remembered that he'd shot the last set of lights.......very closely on my left as I waited in the ASL.

I couldn't understand his self righteousness:wacko:

Keith Oates

Janner
'Some Mothers do ave em', from what you say your actions were acceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds perfectly fine to me. I would imagine if you had past him on the right hand side there would have been a huge chance of a collision. Don't worry about it, stupid people breed faster than clever people, give it a few years and there'll be no common sense left anywhere.

OP
OP
W

Wobbles

Keith Oates said:
'Some Mothers do ave em', from what you say your actions were acceptable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Keith........
Thing is I'm a real stickler myself for unecessary undertaking.......I'l be double cautious next time, just in case.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Well, you couldn't overtake him on the right according to the highway code!!

http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/15.htm#143

OP
OP
W

Wobbles

Thanks MP:smile:

On reflection, the only things that could be regarded as wrong were that I went by too fast (wish I was that fit!!).........or too close(but he was out of the cycle lane).

What the hell.....Thanks for helping clarify this.

It just hurts a bit when a cyclist has a pop at you. 'Cyclist' in inverted commas btw.

How close were you to him ?

If he was barely out of the cycle lane and you squeezed by him on his left with only a couple of inches gap, I could understand his point

(if you are turning right, arm out, drifting across to the middle of road, and a car squeezes by you on the inside, how does that feel ? Not good is it - it really pees me off !
There is the fear that if they've misjudged it they'll clip you, plus it means that you're out in the middle of the road with oncoming traffic passing to your right and traffic on your side passing you on the left : can be scary)

But if you were several feet to his left, a big enough safe gap, I don't see any problem at all.

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Does this mean that he thinks that when he is turning right in his car, everyone who is going straight on should wait behind him if there is space to continue with your journey ? I don't think so mate, anyway you're on a bike so don't pay for the roads :biggrin:

Emu

Elmer Fudd said:
Does this mean that he thinks that when he is turning right in his car, everyone who is going straight on should wait behind him if there is space to continue with your journey ? I don't think so mate, anyway you're on a bike so don't pay for the roads :biggrin:

Just what I was going to write.

Top Bottom