Turning right.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just to double check something here. When turning right, should you assume that all the cars behind will try and overtake you? I know it sounds obvious. When I turn right off a road I always signal, then check over my shoulder to make sure there are no cars trying to overtake me, and I always try to position myself to the right side of the road. It's just I had a moment today where I went to turn and a car tried to over take me at speed as I was turning, forcing him to break hard and my having to swerve left out of the way.

http://www.2pass.co....nctionright.htm

Bigsharn

Veteran
The bloke's a numpty and if I've understood properly, you're doing it right.

Indicate a good 6-12 lengths before your turn off (depending on other junctions and speed), take primary whenever you can see a large enough gap in the traffic or a car that's slowed for you (arm still out and shoulder checking constantly) and move across to the middle of the road 2-3 lengths before the turn-off.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I find that when I indicate to turn left that sometimes it seems to bring out the worst in drivers and they speed up something awful to overtake, often quite dangerously. Sort of a bull to red rag moment. Happened too many times now, so I don't indicate always esp if there is a driver very close by. I tend to do two/three shoulder checks and another one before moving out- positioning as you've mentioned is important as well as taking time but being decisive when you decide to go.

StuartG

slower but further
I've changed my turning right procedure as a result of a Bikeability lesson. An example of 50 years and still getting it wrong!

The key is to 'go early'. Aim to take primary and then centre of the road before you naturally would. At first it feels strange but over time at a particularly challenging turn I have found a significant reduction in clashes with errant cars.

Of course you should check behind before signalling. In continuous traffic this may require you to edge to a strong secondary and look for a larger than normal gap plus a vehicle/driver more likely to concede road space (a subject in its own right). Then signal firmly as the preceding vehicle overtakes. Eyeball the driver in a way that signals your signal is direct specifically at them. If you get recognition move to primary, recheck and then move to RH lane or whatever. If no recognition hold strong secondary and repeat.

Two things. Going early means if you have 2/3 cars who won't concede you still have time for the 4/5 to allow you through. The odds on that are very good and you don't get stranded on the left while when you want to be on the right. Getting across in good time also gives you ample time to judge the oncoming traffic with a good chance of spotting a gap you can speed or slow to coincide with making a nice clean manoeuvre rather than standing in the middle of the road and having to have a wobbly restart across oncoming traffic. It also allows you to look for trafffc turning out of the right turn plus pedestrians likely to step out across the turning.

There is a danger that a following vehicle also wanting to turn right will pass on the inside and cut across but I find it lessens the chances of a vehicle overtaking you on the right as you turn.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I'm with Stuart on the above, planning ahead and getting into the right position will really help as it allows for other road users to see your intentions.

However, Two points I do disagree with and they may only be Londoncentric is indicating strong and clear does lead to driver impatience and I do indicate but intuitively depending on the 'feel' of the conditions and find often that drivers who have the feel of impatience or nuttiness a stare often goes down a treat and then sticking my hand out and down as a warning with those as I'm turning.

I also have to add that sometimes due to the busy-ness of the road, it can mean that I have to wait in the road for quite some time before I'm able to turn.

It really does depend on how the roads and people are at the given time.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
It's important to take (and hold) primary. I aim to get into position a good 30 yards or so before turning right, and keep a good speed up, with a couple of lifesaver glances and an arm signal so drivers behind are fully aware of my intentions. Unfortunately there are some cabbages out there who either don't see all this, or do see it and overtake anyway. Overall though, it's far safer to take primary nice'n early.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
However soon you indicate to turn, please don't do what I see loads of people do in Norwich:

1. Not looking around, or behind them before, during or after indicating, as if they have some miraculous way of not only seeing what is going on but also communicating mystically with other road users.

2. Indicating with fingers. Yes just fingers. People with their hand down to their thigh with their finger pointing to the junction they want to turn into.

3. Meandering around the road until finally turning, either left or right, usually without indicating or looking around.

I believe in looking around quickly and often, and also making it obvious to other vehicles that you are looking. It's like the advice my Dad gave me for my driving test; it's not enough to just look, you need to be seen to be looking (in your mirrors, by the examiner)when you are about to change your direction or stop, so that drivers know they have been seen and you are doing what you indicate anyway.

Personally I have not problem stopping on the right side of the lane, to wait to turn right if it holds up cars etc behind me. Ideally I'd be in a position that blocks overtaking, and if needed for my safety also blocks undertaking. I'm not keen on being the filling in a fast moving traffic sandwich.

Always check over your shoulder before you turn right. I've had enough numpties out there that I always do it to be sure. Not only cars, motorbikes can be worse. At least hopefully you scared today's numpty enough that he won't try that again but there are plenty more of them born every minute.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
Always check over your shoulder before you turn right. I've had enough numpties out there that I always do it to be sure. Not only cars, motorbikes can be worse. At least hopefully you scared today's numpty enough that he won't try that again but there are plenty more of them born every minute.

Thanks for your advice.

As for scaring him, I'll admit I lost my rag a bit but he did get out of his car to shout at me.

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I can't see what you did wrong to be honest.

Do you think you may have misjudged how much time you actually had to turn or misjudged the speed he was travelling at i.e. driving too fast?

The driver should have given way to you and should have been travelling at a speed to allow him to brake safely; and all this without any cause to be irrate at you.

Tynan

Veteran
Mirror

Signal

Manouvre

Never make a manouvre that make another road user have to brake or change direction

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Never make a manouvre that make another road user have to brake or change direction

That just doesn't work in the real world.

To make some maneuvers you have no choice but to cause others to slow in order to complete your maneuver.

Such as making a right turn. Or a left turn.

Mirror

Signal

Manouvre

Wrong.

If you're in front this fails.

Of course if you are turning right you are going to make to make the person behind you brake(/slow).

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Just to double check something here. When turning right, should you assume that all the cars behind will try and overtake you? I know it sounds obvious. When I turn right off a road I always signal, then check over my shoulder to make sure there are no cars trying to overtake me, and I always try to position myself to the right side of the road. It's just I had a moment today where I went to turn and a car tried to over take me at speed as I was turning, forcing him to break hard and my having to swerve left out of the way.

http://www.2pass.co....nctionright.htm

So you were positioned to the right of the road having previously indicated right and a car undertook you to go straight on? What an idiot driver.
You did the correct thing by the sound of it. Did you manage to get his licence number? (Hard in these situations I know). If so a word to the Police may well be in order.

Was thinking about suggesting holding primary but that would have given the driver more room to pass you!!!

Top Bottom