TV aerial cable query - advice sought

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
What's the technical name for the threaded connector (male) on the end of a BSkyB aerial cable? I want to convert it to a standard push-fit RF connector for plugging into a televison to get terrestrial programmes and don't want to order the wrong thing.

stephec

Legendary Member
It's a Sky cable thingy, or is a doodah?

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

You mean an F-Connector. However, I am not sure how you are going to get this working. Unless you have a decoder in your TV, connecting a satellite signal will not get you a signal.

There is what looks like a standard aerial on the roof, with a twin cable marked BSkyB that finishes in the living room and has two threaded connectors. Since it's not a satellite dish I thought it would be worth a bash.

OP
OP
glasgowcyclist

glasgowcyclist

1 line may well be from the aerial the other would be from a dish IMO (the clue is in the BSkyB) unless someone 'nicked' a bunch of cabling from them.

I see, thanks.

I've found the plug I need and it's only a few bob so I'll try it and see how it goes. Answer to a similar question on DigitalSpy forum suggests it'll work:

"yes ! no problem.

the sky cable is "satellite grade", ie can "carry" signals in frequency range 1-2 GHz, which is what a sat antenna outputs. Whereas, the inferior grade cable often used for for aerial cannot carry such signals, and is limited to lower frequencies 400 - 900 MHz used for terrestrial broadcasting. But both cables are more or less the same, if used with tv aerial.

Both have the same characteristic impedence, 75 ohms."

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I would be surprised to see two cables from an antenna terminating together behind one TV. I think it is more likely that it is the pair from the satellite dish.

As a test, you could easily just bodge and connect up without a proper connector.

dodgy

Twin cable, or 'shotgun' as some call it, suggests it's satellite cable and carrying the signals from the horizontally and vertically polarised LNBs in a satellite dish.

Not perfect, but adequate to use as regular TV antenna cable.

bruce1530

Guru
Twin cable, or 'shotgun' as some call it, suggests it's satellite cable and carrying the signals from the horizontally and vertically polarised LNBs in a satellite dish

Close, but not completely true. In a domestic install the shotgun cable will connect to a twin (or quad or occasionally more) LNB, and rack is switched to either H or V polarisation, and Lo or Hi band, independently by the receiver unit. It's 2 independent Lnbs in the one unit.

In a commercial install, e.g. Block of flats, there will be 4 cables for the 4 combinations (lv,hv,lh,hh) which then feed multi switches and can serve any number of outlets from 1 dish.

Not perfect, but adequate to use as regular TV antenna cable.

More than adequate... it's better than standard aerial cable

dodgy

Close, but not completely true. In a domestic install the shotgun cable will connect to a twin (or quad or occasionally more) LNB, and rack is switched to either H or V polarisation, and Lo or Hi band, independently by the receiver unit. It's 2 independent Lnbs in the one unit.

In a commercial install, e.g. Block of flats, there will be 4 cables for the 4 combinations (lv,hv,lh,hh) which then feed multi switches and can serve any number of outlets from 1 dish.

More than adequate... it's better than standard aerial cable
Shows how out of date I am, used to run an aerial rigging company (very much a fledgling operation) back in the early 80s, changed jobs just as the satellite TV revolution hit and missed out on making a few quid!

Top Bottom