Tweaking the derailleur's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
my Surly came with drops and Bar end shifter's , the barrel adjusters on the down post , I've replaced the drops with flat bars and trigger shifters , now , there are barrel adj on the shifters also , The rear derailleur is a Deore , no barrel adj there , I am having a problem fine tuning both derailleur's , usually I have no problem with this operation
,, so I thinking maybe I should forget about the adjusters on the shifters and just tune from the drop post , or maybe vice versa , any ideas ?

iluvmybike

Über Member
It doesn't matter which of those you 'tweak' - they both do the same job which is to adjust cable tension

Levo-Lon

Guru
2 things
Are the new shifters compatible with the mech?
Have you set the mech correctly with the cable tension off so the mech has no load from the cable, very important when setting up.

The Deore has no indexing screw on the rear mech IIRC ( not to be confused with the limit screws, which it does have). All the trim adjustments are made with the tensioner on the shifters. As was said above, get the cable to zero added tension, then start setting mech limits, with the screws on the rear mech, and indexing tensions / trims, with the adjusters on the shifters.

Top Bottom