Twist Grips for the Wife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jethro10

Über Member
I asked about gear shifters before, but we both been thinking.
She is such a weakling and struggles shifting the front gears.
Has done since bike new, does on other bikes and all cable routes/levers etc, are in perfect condition.
I see you can get twistgrips, do these work ok?, seems to be plenty of them and will your wrist have more strength than your thumb? Any inherennt problems with these?

ta
Jeff

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
they're marmite. i love em and just downgraded from xtr to sram twisters. should be fine, your wrists are stronger than your thumbs

OP
OP
J

jethro10

Über Member
Fitted these last night on her bike.

Look good and more importantly work great.
MUCH less effort for her. She is over the moon.
I wonder why they are not more common, fancying these myslef now.

Jeff

Bman

Guru
I never had a problem with Grip Shifts. However, since using Rapid Fire shifters, I wouldnt go back :laugh:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Personally, I think grip shift do a simple job in a more complicated way than is necessary - in general, I've found them to be more of a pain to work on than other types of shifter too.

With that said, decent quality ones (SRAM &c) are ok. The cheaper ones that come on cheap bikes are godawful, and the cause of much swearing in the garage.

OP
OP
J

jethro10

Über Member
John the Monkey said:
Personally, I think grip shift do a simple job in a more complicated way than is necessary - in general, I've found them to be more of a pain to work on than other types of shifter too.

With that said, decent quality ones (SRAM &c) are ok. The cheaper ones that come on cheap bikes are godawful, and the cause of much swearing in the garage.
I see the point, but she's only just admitted she never used the big front cog cos it was too hard for her puny hands.
Not she thinks it's fantastic and is grinning like a Cheshire cat.

Hard to ignore the benefits for her even if I have to replace them every year.

It was SRAM attacks, made for shimano gear.
Jeff

Top Bottom