Twitchy rear end

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Small wheels have less gyroscopic effect and are therefore less directions stable than larger ones.

Check your tyres are seated on the rims proper like, check the tyre pressures, if the tyres are directional then check theyre on the right way around, and chdck the wheels are properly aligned in their dropouts.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Smaller wheels do feel different but you soon adapt to that. They can feel a bit twitchy until you get used to them. As well as my Brompton which has smaller wheels I also have a Bike Friday with 20 inch wheels and a Tern with 20 inch. They are all slightly different in handling terms.

Hi my ebike has 20inch wheels, I've had a couple of tumbles , speaking to a friend he says small wheels are more twitchy I am more cautious after a few close shaves does anyone think my friend is correct appreciate your views.
I think it's just a life lesson. Only take kerbs at 90 degrees. Or else you risk a spill.
Hope you're ok.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

The bike
Small wheels have less gyroscopic effect and are therefore less directions stable than larger ones.

Check your tyres are seated on the rims proper like, check the tyre pressures, if the tyres are directional then check theyre on the right way around, and chdck the wheels are properly aligned in their dropouts.
Thanks
I think it's just a life lesson. Only take kerbs at 90 degrees. Or else you risk a spill.
Hope you're ok.

Attachments

• IMG_20190717_155317594-1.jpg
    IMG_20190717_155317594-1.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20190717_155317594.jpg
    IMG_20190717_155317594.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
B

Biker man

I have had it checked out seems fine thanks.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Yes thanks it seemed so easy to slip out off the road out of the way of impacient motorists .
If you're feeling hassled might be safer to simply pull into the gutter & then lift/turn the bike onto the cycle path. Sometimes it's difficult to swing right to get the correct angle for a left turn when there are vehicles close behind.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Smaller wheels do feel different but you soon adapt to that. They can feel a bit twitchy until you get used to them. As well as my Brompton which has smaller wheels I also have a Bike Friday with 20 inch wheels and a Tern with 20 inch. They are all slightly different in handling terms.
Thank you

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Coming off a busy road onto a cycle track there was about a inch or so of a kerb back end went threw me off hard .
Those kerb dividers can be lethal, especially in the wet. never attempt to cross them at acute angles.
Went across off the road at a angle wanted to get off busy fast road with cars so close.
They have a similar thing on the entrance to the car park at Lidl in Todmorden...

I usually approach that from the left. If there isn't traffic behind me I swing out and turn in so I can cross the bump at a right angle. Often there IS traffic and then I bunnyhop the bump instead.

Hope you're ok.
And railway lines and tram tracks.

My friend tried riding straight across this railway line in Switzerland...

And that was the end of her European tour! :eek:

OP
OP
B

Biker man

They have a similar thing on the entrance to the car park at Lidl in Todmorden...

View attachment 610191

I usually approach that from the left. If there isn't traffic behind me I swing out and turn in so I can cross the bump at a right angle. Often there IS traffic and then I bunnyhop the bump instead.

And railway lines and tram tracks.

My friend tried riding straight across this railway line in Switzerland...

View attachment 610192

And that was the end of her European tour! :eek:

View attachment 610193
Hi thanks for sharing info and photos

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Here's a crossing of the East Coast main line near Christon Bank Northumberland. For once the 'cyclists dismount' signs are sensible advice. The road is fairly quiet and if no traffic I usually ride way over to the opposite side of the road so as to be able to cross at a safe angle England - Google Maps

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Here's a crossing of the East Coast main line near Christon Bank Northumberland. For once the 'cyclists dismount' signs are sensible advice. The road is fairly quiet and if no traffic I usually ride way over to the opposite side of the road so as to be able to cross at a safe angle England - Google Maps
Thanks for sharing that there are quite a few of these about I always walk the bike across now I don't bounce like when I was young🙂

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Hi thanks for sharing info and photos
Looking at your photo of the road if traffic is behind you that would be difficult to cross .there is a ford in a place called world's end near Llangollen no end of cyclists have come off there and once saw a motor bike come off I walk through or on some stones wet feet are better than broken bones .

Top Bottom