Two train tickets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
If I buy two train tickets and I'm sitting on one seat with my bag on the other seat (none of these are priority seats), Do I have to take the bag off it's seat if someone else wants to sit down?

What if I get up instead but leave my bag sitting on it's seat?

This might even descend into talk about airplane seats.....

er, you pay double fare - to have a cosy chat with your bag?

There's a whole world I have clearly been sheltered from.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
I just don't want to out my bag on the floor, nor do I want this massive guy who is currently sitting next to me resting his huge shoulder and arms on me. It got me thinking....

But if a first class ticket is more expensive than two economy class tickets, I'd rather buy two eco tickets. The two eco seats will be huge compared to one premium class ticket.

vickster

Legendary Member
In first class, at least on BA you won't have anyone sitting next to you (at least not who can touch you) and you don't need to worry about your bag. ;) It'll cost you about 8 economy tickets for the privilege though :ohmy: (you do get as much champagne and fine wine as you desire tho)

Mustang, if this bothers you, psychology is your friend.

No need to pretend to be asleep or glare as a potential claimer of "your" seat approaches.

Instead, look them straight in the eye as they saunter up the aisle, smile at them, look longingly at the spare seat, then equally longingly back at them as you pat the seat and chuck in an extra smile. These days of course, matters not what sex you or they are.

Of course I take no responsibility for any unwelcome advances from them that may possibly result.

enjoy your trip...

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
Yes, I'd say you do. You buy a ticket to travel on the train, but that doesn't guarantee *you* a seat, still less your bag.
I agree the seat is not guaranteed. If I get on the train at the starting point where seats are empty and place me and bag on seat before others get on, then later when other passengers get on, if they ask me to move my bag, I will tell them "your seat is not guaranteed."

PK99

Legendary Member
from National Rail enquiries page:

Accompanied animals and articles for which charges are payable
  • Each additional item of personal luggage above the free allowance.
  • Each seat occupied by luggage, container or other articles when the seat is needed for passenger use.
  • Each cat, dog or small animal exceeding the free allowance.
  • Each article exceeding one metre in any dimension that can be carried by one person.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
[QUOTE 4626750, member: 259"]This is going to end in tears![/QUOTE]
I think input a disclaimer in my OP about just such a thing.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
In first class, at least on BA you won't have anyone sitting next to you (at least not who can touch you) and you don't need to worry about your bag. ;) It'll cost you about 8 economy tickets for the privilege though :ohmy: (you do get as much champagne and fine wine as you desire tho)

Omg that reminds me. The other day I was just there (BA isn't quite as good as other airlines in this regard, a shame really) but I saw someone in first class reading..... The Mail. I was so incensed that I took a photo. Let me see if I can dig it up....

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
from National Rail enquiries page:

Accompanied animals and articles for which charges are payable
  • Each additional item of personal luggage above the free allowance.
  • Each seat occupied by luggage, container or other articles when the seat is needed for passenger use.
  • Each cat, dog or small animal exceeding the free allowance.
  • Each article exceeding one metre in any dimension that can be carried by one person.
:hugs:

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
Mustang, if this bothers you, psychology is your friend.

No need to pretend to be asleep or glare as a potential claimer of "your" seat approaches.

Instead, look them straight in the eye as they saunter up the aisle, smile at them, look longingly at the spare seat, then equally longingly back at them as you pat the seat and chuck in an extra smile. These days of course, matters not what sex you or they are.

Of course I take no responsibility for any unwelcome advances from them that may possibly result.

enjoy your trip...
This reminds me of various Jim Carey scenes from the hit movie Ace Venture Pet Detective.

OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Guru
[QUOTE 4626783, member: 45"]You've paid for two seats. The problem is whether you have the gall to explain to the Big Man that you've paid for the empty seat next to you, provide the evidence if requested and then manage his response when he realises that your actions have prevented him from sitting in a seat which is occupied by an inanimate object.[/QUOTE]

I could always start off with:

'Sup big boy?

Top Bottom