Two train tickets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Where I work there are manuscripts that sometimes go out on loan/on show in certain parts of the world.

If the manuscript is being left there for a while a member of the library staff will fly out with it, one seat for the thing, one for the person. They go business class.

On the return journey the staff member gets the bargain bucket seat!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
On some trains, First class seating is 2+1 (2 seats on one side of the aisle, with a single seat on the other side) rather than 2+2 (or the hateful 2+3*), so you can get a seat with no oiks sat next to you. Quite often first class is surprisingly inexpensive if you can book ahead, often cheaper than two cattle class tickets would be.

National Express did used to make a point of allowing you to book two seats if you didn't want anyone rubbing shoulders with you for the journey - in fact at one point they allowed a free "upgrade" on request if you booked far enough in advance but I don't know if they still do this.

(* - 2+3 seating should actually be called 1.5+2.5 seating as that's what it is...)

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Miss Goodbody had a similar problem once, when travelling with the Vicar to London for a "Spritual Cleansing" weekend. In the end, she had to sit on his lap in order to make room for Specky McFondle, who they had befriended during the journey. The vicar still talks about the complicated points system near Peterborough.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
You are my new favourite poster. I believe you have your head screwed on straight!

By way of explanation, it was a Teddy that my Grandma owned. When her health rapidly deteriorated at the age of about 98, she insisted that I have this particular bear. My aunt told me to bring a very big carrier bag, to contain the bear. However, he was much larger than I remembered, and it was easier to carry him in my arms, than squash him into the bag.

A few years later, the local church was organising a Teddy Bear parachute jump from the church tower. They wanted some large bears to be spectators on the day that the local news television crew were due to be there. Big Ben made it safely up all the two hundred steps to the top of the tower. I still do not know how it happened, but Ted got too close to the edge of the wall and fell 150 feet to land on his head.

Sadly this meant he was too concussed to speak to the television crew. I still have the video of the news programme.

If I buy two train tickets and I'm sitting on one seat with my bag on the other seat (none of these are priority seats), Do I have to take the bag off it's seat if someone else wants to sit down?

What if I get up instead but leave my bag sitting on it's seat?

This might even descend into talk about airplane seats.....
If the bag's got a ticket, it can sit where it likes.

subaqua

What’s the point
I agree the seat is not guaranteed. If I get on the train at the starting point where seats are empty and place me and bag on seat before others get on, then later when other passengers get on, if they ask me to move my bag, I will tell them "your seat is not guaranteed."

If you advance book then seat is , well it is when I travel but that might be cos I look like I would eat you ( I am not like that tho)

robjh

Legendary Member
Where I work there are manuscripts that sometimes go out on loan/on show in certain parts of the world.

If the manuscript is being left there for a while a member of the library staff will fly out with it, one seat for the thing, one for the person. They go business class.

On the return journey the staff member gets the bargain bucket seat!
Do the library staff ever find themselves too busy and want a member of the local unemployed to fly out for them? (hint hint :okay:)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@Speicher I loved Big Ben's story!
Tell us more: is he still with you? Any pictures? Who did he belong to before your Grandma?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
@Speicher I loved Big Ben's story!
Tell us more: is he still with you? Any pictures? Who did he belong to before your Grandma?

Yes, I still have him. My Grandma bought him for when she had very young grandchildren visiting. She had about four teddies I think, and lots of grandchildren. She also had several dolls for them to play with, and she knitted clothes for the dolls.

She bought him in a shop in Bristol. She then decided to have coffee and cakes at Carwardines (a rather posh restaurant in Bristol). The story goes that they had a person who greeted customers and showed them to a table. The waiter pulled out a chair for her, and also pulled out another chair, saying, "Here's a chair for your Teddy". ^_^

After the incident at the top of the tower, he is very camera shy. It is possibly a side effect of the concussion. :unsure:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I seek out people who look to have made the greatest effort in ensuring a double seat, (laptop out, both tables folded down, bags on seat etc) and I say excuse me, and I wait while they move everything and apologise, and I sit down. I even do it when there are other double seats available. I positively enjoy meeting passive aggression with passive aggression.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Not read all the thread so, there was a guy who bought a 1959 Les Paul Standard & another who bought one of Jimi Hendrix Fender Strat's that bought a seat for their new 'old' guitars.

Mind you, the seats were worth every penny against the chance of baggage handlers destroying a $1M guitar.

Top Bottom