Two utility bikes; one has to go..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
If the ofo really is un-nickable then leave it in town somewhere (like it’s designed for) and you can still use it from time to time without storing 😉😝
Ironically the ofo is the only bike I've ever owned that some incredulous prick has tried to remove from me while in my possession; through some mis-placed sense of entitlement that since I might have found it, he somehow had a right to it :rolleyes:

Of course if I did what you suggest it'd be wrecked or in the rive within days, however with a decent D-lock on it I don't think anyone would give it a second look.

Erm, can I be a dissenter and ask what the flipping hecking crivens you're doing getting rid of either?

I've got (I think) 4 bikes in my garage and two in my front room, I may even have one I've not remembered if I dig far enough back in the garage. I pull out my oldest one from time to time and I ride it to the pub, and i grin because it feels weird and fun, given that it's so alien and different to what I ride more often.

Are you short of storage/ parking space? If not, keep them both. In fact, buy another fixer one off Ebay and do it up. Owning lots of bikes is not only fun, it's the law.

Glad to be of service.
If I had the space I'd probably have many, but sadly this is lacking - both physically and mentally :sad:

Gunk

Guru
Erm, can I be a dissenter and ask what the flipping hecking crivens you're doing getting rid of either?

I've got (I think) 4 bikes in my garage and two in my front room, I may even have one I've not remembered if I dig far enough back in the garage. I pull out my oldest one from time to time and I ride it to the pub, and i grin because it feels weird and fun, given that it's so alien and different to what I ride more often.

Are you short of storage/ parking space? If not, keep them both. In fact, buy another fixer one off Ebay and do it up. Owning lots of bikes is not only fun, it's the law.

Glad to be of service.

You can never have enough!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Sell them both, then buy something similar in 6 months when prices have gone down.

Considering the Raleigh was actually free to acquire, you are not going to get a cheaper one after coronacycling fizzles out. There might well be a lot of secondhand stuff on the market in 6 months, but most of them will be low end modern hybrids and MTB's that are being bought by the masses now if they can get hold of any.
Selling the OFO makes sense, as it could be a useful short-haul station commuter bike or multi-rider hop on and go bike for someone to have in their shed. You can't really compare a bomb-proof, anti-tamper, public use hire bike to a size-specific Raleigh, even a low end one like a Routier. The former is going to be highly compromised, and only tolerable because such bikes are only typically ridden for a few miles at a time. You could ride the Routier all day long and still be able to walk afterwards if the bike is set up right and you are reasonably fit. The Routier was not envisaged as a pure utility but it's practical to use it as one because it's cheap and sturdy. The OFO is never going to make a mile-muncher no matter what.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Considering the Raleigh was actually free to acquire, you are not going to get a cheaper one after coronacycling fizzles out. There might well be a lot of secondhand stuff on the market in 6 months, but most of them will be low end modern hybrids and MTB's that are being bought by the masses now if they can get hold of any.
Selling the OFO makes sense, as it could be a useful short-haul station commuter bike or multi-rider hop on and go bike for someone to have in their shed. You can't really compare a bomb-proof, anti-tamper, public use hire bike to a size-specific Raleigh, even a low end one like a Routier. The former is going to be highly compromised, and only tolerable because such bikes are only typically ridden for a few miles at a time. You could ride the Routier all day long and still be able to walk afterwards if the bike is set up right and you are reasonably fit. The Routier was not envisaged as a pure utility but it's practical to use it as one because it's cheap and sturdy. The OFO is never going to make a mile-muncher no matter what.
That was partially my thinking... of course there's the argument that I could flog it now for more than I'd pay for a replacement in future, but the money's that small (and my time spent so far that great) that it really wouldn't be worth the gamble or effort. I've had a quick squiz on ebay and I've seen them go for anything between £30-odd and £150+. Interestingly the two most recent ones were right at the bottom of that range (and probably needed the bits mine did - tyres and a chain, although the rims must have been less abused) which makes me think the people are no longer as desperate for anything with two wheels they can get their hands on..

I agree with your observations; I think the most I've done on the ofo in one hit is probably about 15 miles and I'd not want to do any more. It's comfy and relaxed (for short journeys) but punishing on hills or into the slightest headwind. Plus I find the lack of top tube and low stem surprisingly irritating when it comes to handling the bike when not riding it.

It's a surprisingly well made / specced and quirky little thing though, so I'll be a bit sorry to see it go.

Top Bottom