Two Wheel Paradise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
It was well worth the watch.

I suspect it's the wrong people who are watching it though.

Johnno260

Veteran
I loved my Dutch holiday, it was so relaxing, spending days exploring on our bikes and stopping at bakeries to refuel.

Sadly it won’t catch on here, people have a love affair with the motor car, I have seen people literally pull out their drive, drive 4 houses down, then pull into a side road where they work it’s nuts.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I see it every day, parents driving their kids half a mile to school then stopping in the road to let them disembark.

There are some folk who don't think the rules apply to them.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The Dutch are so charming and so well organised that even passing through Security at Schiphol is a pleasure. Contrast that with Frankfurt where they're officious, Charles de Gaulle where they hate passengers and the worst, Manchester, where they are a shower of barstewards who terrorise passengers.

Last edited:

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
The Dutch are so charming and so well organised that even passing through Security at Schiphol is a pleasure. Contrast that with Frankfurt where they're officious, Charles de Gaulle where they hate passengers and the worst, Manchester, where they are a shower of barsteward who terrorise passengers.
And don't even get me started on the States.

bladderhead

I was going on a course at SOAS in Russell Square. I rode there every day for two weeks. It started just after the terrorists blew up the bus, which was right next to Russell Square. For the whole two weeks the police blocked Russell Square off. I rode on a road which leads to there and the end of this road was blocked off. There was pedestrian access so I went through. I turned right, the wrong way around the Russell Square one-way. The traffic noise died away. It was so quiet. I could hear the traffic noise dying away even before I got to the square. Three lanes, with arrows painted on them and I was going the other way. There were two cop cars parked on the road, but they ignored me. The only annoying thing was the pedestrians wandering about like headless chickens. At least if there is cars on the road the pedestrians do not do that. But what an amazing experience. I wish all London could be like that all the time.

snorri

Legendary Member
Interesting to read that article published before the event, all organisations invited to comment were fairly positive, even the taxi trade was willing to reserve judgement until after the event. The notable exception being a Conservative Councillor:rolleyes:.

It will never catch on, British people are too thick, too ill-educated and lack any sense of social cohesion.
I think that is a bit unfair, two generations of Brits have been encouraged by government subsidies to accept cheap motoring as an entitlement. It really is thinking out of the box for these people to reduce private car use.

Slick

Guru
Interesting to read that article published before the event, all organisations invited to comment were fairly positive, even the taxi trade was willing to reserve judgement until after the event. The notable exception being a Conservative Councillor:rolleyes:.

I think that is a bit unfair, two generations of Brits have been encouraged by government subsidies to accept cheap motoring as an entitlement. It really is thinking out of the box for these people to reduce private car use.
It's to be extended, so hopefully it will be a success. I also found it interesting to note that the concerns quoted now, are the exact same quoted in the video from years ago.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Holland is kind of flatter than most places, which makes it a bit more conducive to cycling. It is also fairly densely populated, with well developed public transit. I think we may all have to evolve into this model, resources and environment being what they are. The States are a bit more sparsely populated. Small towns, at least in the Midwest part of the States, people don't use cars as much for short trips, rather relying on golf carts, bicycles, and riding lawn mowers to get around in town itself.

Top Bottom