Type / Make of tyres for C2C Route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paul

Anybody done the C2C, Whitehaven to Newcastle on Tyne, Sustrans route and can give advice on type/model of the best tyres for a mountain bike? I ride a Scott G Zero FX mountain bike and intend to do the C2C within 24hrs (including the Old Coach Road from Keswick Section) Any advice on the appropriate tyres for the surfaces/terrain from experience?

Ceedee

Me and some friends completed Workington to Tynemouth c2c last year, I was using the original off road tyres that came with my Mtb and they all had slicks.

My advice would be get slicks as most of the route was quiet road or tracks that needed no grip.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Commuter tyres with a central ridge and side grips, about 1.8 size, pumped up hard will be perfect.

P.H

Über Member
Unless it dries up before you go, The Old Coach Road and the Grouse Moor will require full MTB tyres or long walks. For the rest, any tough tyre will do, there are some rough stretches so I’d avoid anything too light. Decent puncture protection will be an advantage in the urban sections, of which the Newcastle finish has more than the Sunderland. For a 24 hour ride I’d skip the serious off road bits, they are scenic but slow. Have a good ride.

gkerr4

P.H said:
Unless it dries up before you go, The Old Coach Road and the Grouse Moor will require full MTB tyres or long walks. For the rest, any tough tyre will do, there are some rough stretches so I’d avoid anything too light. Decent puncture protection will be an advantage in the urban sections, of which the Newcastle finish has more than the Sunderland. For a 24 hour ride I’d skip the serious off road bits, they are scenic but slow. Have a good ride.

I completey agree with this - doing the proper off road sections may well be conflicting with the tyres required to do the rest of the route in 24hrs.

If you skip the old coach road, then I would go for narrow semi-slick commuting type tyres - pumped up hard. But for the coach road you may (not done that bit myself - just going on what others have told me) need proper off-road tyres.

I did it in may this year on a trek pilot road bike with 700x28s on - which did it ok, although it wasn't the ideal bike for that route!

holly7141

C2C tyres

Hi
I did the C2C on a mountain bike with offroad tyres and felt this was really over the top I am a road touring audax, rider with 60years plus experience and if I did it again would use my road bike for a day crossing 25 to 28mm. tyres would be fine puncture protection is more important on the last few miles due to the amount of glass. Even if you include the old coach road over 90% is on what I would class as on road quality surfaces. In Whitehaven a couple were just finishing the C2C and Rievers on road bikes in 4days no problems when we were starting.

Top Bottom