Type of bike advice needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kevinj

Hi and thanks. I am 55. 5 foot 6. I’m not that coordinated and prefer to be lower to the ground and want something way simple. I am 210 lbs. I don’t want to worry about shifting anything. We are talking just going to the store etc down the street. What should I look for? Wheel size etc. thanks.

carpiste

Guru
I`d suggest you go to a big cycle store and look arond, try sitting on a few and asking the staff for their advice.
There are so many, some would say too many bikes, to really make any really good suggestions. Your budget, fitness, aspirations will all come into play.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The OP here is extremely overweight for their height so any bike they choose will need gears, unless the places they intend to ride are absolutely as flat as a pancake and very sheltered from the wind.
How far off the ground you are depends primarily on how long your legs are and you don't have any choice in that matter. I would strongly advise against buying anything with aggressive geometry, a relaxed upright frame sounds the most suitable. With wheel sizes I reckon 26" is probably the best combination of ride quality and manoevreability.
Small wheels don't make the riding position any lower since you still need ground clearance under the pedals. The main benefit is making the bike shorter in overall length therefore more compact and easier to store. The downside is worse comfort for a given tyre width.

Last edited:

kayakerles

Have a nice ride.
Hi and thanks. I am 55. 5 foot 6. I’m not that coordinated and prefer to be lower to the ground and want something way simple. I am 210 lbs. I don’t want to worry about shifting anything. We are talking just going to the store etc down the street. What should I look for? Wheel size etc. thanks.
Welcome to CycleChat. I'm 65 now and have been riding a lot since around 8 years ago. It was REAL slow going at first, but now riding 10 - 15 miles a day is just like taking a walk. You'll get there! When looking around for a first bike, don’t be afraid of gears. Even a 3-speed, which are easier to ride than bikes with more gears. Shifting gears is something you’ll get used to. But before spending a chunk of money, why not just pick up an inexpensive bike at a pawn shop that feels comfortable to you, one foot on the ground while sitting on the bike seat. Don't worry about getting a “nice” bike yet, just get something to get you moving and to have some fun on. As you get used to riding a bit and find you really do like it, you can go to a bike shop and talk to them about what might be a good bike for you to continue with. Something nice that you can work toward. A reward for perseverance. Best of success to you! Have fun and keep us posted! 😄👍

Depending on what you mean by balloon, that's a good bike for any range. Nowt wrong with 26" wheels. Longest ride I've ever done was on 26" 38c slicks...
I commute on Big Apple 26x1.9 and have ridden over 30 miles but for longer rudes prefer a 700cx28.
At a cruising speed they are very efficient, v good on cobbles potholes etc and have built in shock absorbers.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Listen to @kayakerles some great advice in his post.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Hi, welcome to the forum :hello:

I’d second doing a ‘try before you buy’. If you have a local bike shop (fibs), they will be only too pleased to help you out. If not, then yes, something in a ‘mountain bike’ style would do for starters -try to avoid complex suspension, as it’s only more to go wrong. If you can get road tyres on it, even better. Bear in mind that starting with short rides and building up is the way to go.. Enjoy!

Top Bottom