Types of Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Peteaud

Veteran
Friend of mine just changed nobblies to slicks on his MTB.

Much faster and less effort is what he said, and now he is looking at road bikes......

Defo worth changing.

karl61

have to agree with stewart h

riggsbie

Coffee and Recumbent Trikes.......
I fitted some Big Apples 28 x 2.15 on my Scott Spark 29er.....

40 kph on the flat is easy....and 70 kph on a 10% downhill grade, but turning was interesting due to the rotating mass......

Awful on silty mud tho !

Riggsbie

Robwiz

Regular
I swapped the off road tyres on my MTB for Schwalbe City Jets and for the same effort I'm getting at least 2 mph more speed.

Nocode

So in summary. basically;
  • Quicker, not masses quicker but a couple of mph and that can certainly add-up over a longer commute
  • Safer, increased contact patch with the road
  • Quieter, less noise from road and wind
  • Purpose, you're only riding on roads so you might as well has a tyre that is suited to it's purpose
When I first started commuting back in August I swapped from knobblies to Schwalbe Marathon's (26 x 1.5) and it made a considerable difference - similar to what Norm said above regarding speed increase.

It's a no brainer imo.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Quicker, not masses quicker but a couple of mph and that can certainly add-up over a longer commute.
It certainly can add up.

To a lot of people an improvement of 2 to 3 MPH on the average speed really does not sound like a lot. However, to put things into perspective one of my regular rides is roughly 30 miles and as I can now usually do it at an average of 13mph instead of 10mph I can complete the ride 40 minutes quicker.

OP
OP
Egon Belmontie

Egon Belmontie