Types of Tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paddygt

I missed this but I have just replaced my knobblies for City Jets and there is a real difference. OK, I am not fit enough to exploit the performance side of it (yet) but apart from losing the softer ride, they are more responsive, very, very quiet on the road and feel great. I do not believe you will regret it at all, I didn't and I know nothing lol. My thread is here, loads of advice and what I thought about it when done

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
the two apes that were in the bike dept were more confused than i was about tyre size question and just kept trying to sell me a whole new wheel
I'm not surprised, and the wheels they sold you would almost certainly be exactly the same size as the ones you already have.:wacko:

To be absolutely certain, Sheldon Brown has more info about tyre sizing HERE, with a useful chart giving an idea of what tyres work on what width rim about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Is the bike the one in your avatar? If so, I'd guess at it being a 21mm rim width as that seems quite common.

Lancj1

MTB with thick, wide knobblies: about 15-16mph rolling average on a commute
Cyclocross with 35mm semi slicks: 17-18mph
Road bike with 24mm slicks: 18-19mph

That's me anyway!

As someone who has just managed an average of 14.3 mph on the road bike I weep ! That's up from 12 last summer though.

Anyway slicks for me. I stuck them on the old steel hard tail and its a lot nicer to ride and handle on Tarmac

Top Bottom