Typical 4X4's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
  1. There's a long way between crawling speed and 20mph
  2. You've just given a perfect illustration of the complete inappropriateness of 4x4s on roads

Give it a rest will you. You could say the same about any luxury car.

A 6 litre 2 tonne S class Merc is only licensed to carry 5 occupants so why choose one over a Daewoo Matiz which is also licensed to carry 5 people ?

Come to think of it why did you bother with a Tino when you could get by with a much smaller and more economical car like a Suzuki WagonR ?

tyred

Legendary Member
This thread is about the pointlessness of 4x4s on a school run. Nothing to do with luxury saloons.

So it's okay to do the school run in a Merc S Class but not in a Range Rover. What difference does it make?

You've seen a photo of our main car. It's the same size, if not smaller than, a Wagon R. And more economical. The other one only comes out when we need it.

This thread is about the pointlessness of 4x4s on a school run. Nothing to do with luxury saloons. Or practical Nissan family cars.

The technical spec for the Tino is Here weight = 1335kg length 4264mm

By contrast, the technical spec for the Wagon R is Here = 855kg = length 3400mm

What made you choose the Tino over a smaller car, what made you decide you must have such a large car by comparison to something which would have also suited your needs ? status and keeping up with the jones's perhaps :blush:

jimboalee

tyred said:
I might envy your car but I don't envy your fuel bills.

Its insured for 1500 miles per year, which is only 120 gallons. Its been about £525 since last summer.
Insurance is £135 fully comp for that milage and Road tax is £185 pa.
MOT is £45.

I spend £20 every week in the Canteen to fuel my bike, so which costs less? ( hint - 46 weeks per year ).

:blush:

tyred

Legendary Member
jimboalee said:
Its insured for 1500 miles per year, which is only 120 gallons. Its been about £525 since last summer.
Insurance is £135 fully comp for that milage and Road tax is £185 pa.
MOT is £45.

I spend £20 every week in the Canteen to fuel my bike, so which costs less? ( hint - 46 weeks per year ).

:blush:

And there is the other advantage to driving an older car, you don't suffer the chequebook withering depreciation that people who insist on buying new have to put up with.

jimboalee

The 'school run' Range Rover argument is Safety.

Parents who can afford them, will buy them.

Although I work for JaguarLandRover, I only like the Defender model. It is the traditional working vehicle and does good work around the world with relief agencies and peacekeeping forces.

I've been on the Solihull site many times, but take on an instant dislike to the whole 4 x 4 luxury ethos, - 'Chelsea tractors' - since my Great, Great Grandfather was robbed in 1936 when the government 'stole' his land to build a tank engine factory.:blush:

Well done.

Nope. There are other reasons.

A) Taking rubbish to the tip ? - get a trailer and hitch it to the runaround

Or

:blush: Letting the Neighbours know you can live with the depreciation of a new car ? A show of status.

Are you really that interested, or are you just desperate to trip me up?

I'll explain if you really want me to.

And it's not new. They haven't made Tinos for a while. Why did you assume that it is?

FWIW, I've never bought a new car.

So why not just flog it and live with the cheap runaround then ?

If you are going to criticise people for their car choices, at least start off on the moral high ground old chap :blush:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Linf, your 4x4 isnt even a proper 4x4 is it. I mean, its more of a ponces 4x4 then a big mans 4x4.
Why didnt you get a mans 4x4 instead of your ugly thing.
We have 2 cars though Linf. Have you got a problem with that?
One is a pretty large one, one is pretty small.
What do you need a 4x4 for anyway Linf? How often do you go offroad? Or do you just use it to tow your horseys around?

Top Bottom