Typical 4X4's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the reluctant cyclist

Über Member
I haven't really had much bad luck with any so far but this morning I was merrily cycling along by a school - I was making good progress - about 19mph when all of the sudden directly outside the school gate, right in the middle of the road without pulling in, indicating or anything the 4X4 in front of my stops dead and just as I am thinking about overtaking it - inside or outside - all three passenger doors swing open and four girls jump out in the road without a by your leave on mummy's instructions!

For god's sake - I don't understand why it is okay to just do that - if she had at least indicated her intentions it might have helped but she literally just stopped dead!

I wouldn't mind but about 25 feet (literally) up the road there was plenty of places to pull in that weren't in the middle of the road or right next to the yellow zig zag lines!

I know it's not even an "incident" as such but god it pi55ed me off big time!:welcome:

I need to root around in my desk for a nice chill pill!!!!:biggrin:

Bigtwin

the reluctant cyclist said:
but she literally just stopped dead!

In which case it seems a bit hard to criticise her driving.

Tynan

Veteran
Stopping in the middle of the road without signaling and then opening three doors in the middle of the road without signaling or making sure it was safe to do so?

granted it was outside a school but that's still inconsiderate/dangerous driving

Tynan

Veteran
I defo find that 4x4s and mpvs are more inconsiderate than other cars, broadly speaking

and that's over thirty years, when MPVs first appeared, the people that drove them then all drive 4x4s now, it a valid stereotype

Tynan said:
Stopping in the middle of the road without signaling and then opening three doors in the middle of the road without signaling or making sure it was safe to do so?

granted it was outside a school but that's still inconsiderate/dangerous driving

She did signal - she used her brake lights!

Bigtwin

To be fair, it does take a certain mentality to drive an environment destroying, fuel guzzling, cash squandering, car crushing status symbol on the school run in a splendid effort to ensure less planet for those inside to enjoy when they grow up.

Bigtwin said:
To be fair, it does take a certain mentality to drive an environment destroying, fuel guzzling, cash squandering, car crushing status symbol on the school run in a splendid effort to ensure less planet for those inside to enjoy when they grow up.

Given your previous disclosure of piloting a plane, do you see the irony in this post ?

Bigtwin

very-near said:
Given your previous disclosure of piloting a plane, do you see the irony in this post ?

No I don't. But if you'd like to take it up with HM Forces, perhaps they could see their way to adopting peace protests in weave-your-own yurts instead of using aircraft. Let me know how you get on.

If you argument is that we have planes, so that makes it fine to drive the kids to school every day doing <20 mpg in a frickin great 4x4, then I think we can just leave that to stick to the wall.

Bigtwin said:
No I don't. But if you'd like to take it up with HM Forces, perhaps they could see their way to adopting peace protests in weave-your-own yurts instead of using aircraft. Let me know how you get on.

If you argument is that we have planes, so that makes it fine to drive the kids to school every day doing <20 mpg in a frickin great 4x4, then I think we can just leave that to stick to the wall.

I spent a couple of hours at Kemble airfield on sunday see the pic below (Copyright Linf© ;))

It reinforced my belief that what people do for entertainment is every bit as wasteful as what they do out of necessity.

What did you used to fly BTW ?

vdcpzb.jpg

jimboalee

The driver is responsible for passengers younger than sixteen. Throwing doors open ahead of a cyclist is "endangering the life of other roadusers".

It happened to me once outside Ruckleigh Prep School on Lode Lane, Solihull ( upper class twit of the year school ).
Nearside rear passenger door.
I didn't stop short and leant on it to strain the hinges ( making sure there was some metal stretching sounds ). Then I shouted to the driver "Teach them to use their eyes!"

How is a cyclist going to bend the B post of a Mercedes if the rear door isn't open?

I'd like to take this opportunity to repeat the story of the time I was on my bike and followed a school-run 4x4, which slowed to crawling pace at every speed hump.

You of course don't need to on the bike because you aren't hitting your head on the roof when going through it at 20mph

J4CKO

Type of car is irrelevant, my saloon car is telling me it is enjoying Super Plus at the rate of 23 miles per gallon, some 4 by 4's are more economical than that, I do see that outside my kids school though, Range Rovers driven at 40 plus between two lines of parked car, bimbo mum with phone stuck to ear, kids stood up in back, its not the cars fault its driven by idiots but the big off roaders do seem to attract them, maybe they compensate for their crap driving in choosing (what they assume to be) is a a safe car ?

I use less than a tank of fuel per month by the way, sometimes one every two so it doesnt matter what my car does to the gallon, its not just the consumption its the frequency of use.

I cannot be doing with people who needlessly waste resources, but also I cannot be doing with over zealous eco warriors.

Top Bottom