Typical 4X4's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jack the lad

Admin - Is there a forum setting that stops V-N and MP ever posting in the same thread. Yawwwwn.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
jack the lad said:
Admin - Is there a forum setting that stops V-N and MP ever posting in the same thread. Yawwwwn.

I'm not sure whether to nominate this for "Post Of The Year" or the "Stating The Blindingly Obvious" award. No offence intended to jack...

Joe24 said:
Linf, your 4x4 isnt even a proper 4x4 is it. I mean, its more of a ponces 4x4 then a big mans 4x4.
Why didnt you get a mans 4x4 instead of your ugly thing.
We have 2 cars though Linf. Have you got a problem with that?
One is a pretty large one, one is pretty small.
What do you need a 4x4 for anyway Linf? How often do you go offroad? Or do you just use it to tow your horseys around?

Good attempt Joe :laugh: Shame you don't drive :laugh:

It was bought purely as a tow car, but no horse shows ATM so no need to run it. It is torquey, but fairly gutless and was bought because of its weight (needs to be heavy) and not for massive performance. The ability to go offroad is a bonus, but not the primary reason get it. If the horses go, then so will the car.

My regular commute is 2 wheels of one form or another. Cars are for girls :laugh:

2hftovo.jpg

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Linf, im driving;) Sorry pal:laugh::laugh:
Bought a 4x4 for towing? You should have researched more, you can tow pretty decent amount with a normal saloon car.
The Skoda we have can tow a pretty heavy weight(and has pulled the caravan all around Europe, in some very very hills places, and towed a very heavy trailor off a field) and gets 40+mpg
No need for a 4x4
How much does your horsey trailor weigh with horseys in?

Joe24 said:
Linf, im driving;) Sorry pal:laugh::laugh:
Bought a 4x4 for towing? You should have researched more, you can tow pretty decent amount with a normal saloon car.
The Skoda we have can tow a pretty heavy weight(and has pulled the caravan all around Europe, in some very very hills places, and towed a very heavy trailor off a field) and gets 40+mpg
No need for a 4x4
How much does your horsey trailor weigh with horseys in?

2200kg with both of them aboard.
Your Skoda could pull it, but it wouldn't be safe, and wouldn't be legal either. I used to have a Xantia which could just about pull the trailer empty legally, but it was fairly scary as its weight really pushed the car around on the downhill (and the trailers brakes worked well).

Do you honestly think I would want to drive a car (with a 0-60mph time of about 30 seconds) which does 15mpg around town when we are paying £5 per gallon for Diesel ?

Joe24

very-near said:
2200kg with both of them aboard.
Your Skoda could pull it, but it wouldn't be safe, and wouldn't be legal either. I used to have a Xantia which could just about pull the trailer empty legally, but it was fairly scary as its weight really pushed the car around on the downhill (and the trailers brakes worked well).

Do you honestly think I would want to drive a car (with a 0-60mph time of about 30 seconds) which does 15mpg around town when we are paying £5 per gallon for Diesel ?

Well you do, dont you?
And actually, it would be legal if my dad was driving it;)
If its costing you so much to go around town in that,m why not get a little run about then Linf?
Surely over time it would pay for itself by you getting more MPG, and saving on using your big 4x4(womanly 4x4, why did you get a shogun linf?)

Joe24 said:
Well you do, dont you?
And actually, it would be legal if my dad was driving it;)
If its costing you so much to go around town in that,m why not get a little run about then Linf?
Surely over time it would pay for itself by you getting more MPG, and saving on using your big 4x4(womanly 4x4, why did you get a shogun linf?)

We have got an A-class merc as a runaround joe. The Shogun has been SORN'd for 5 months as we are not doing any horse shows this year (so no need for a tow car ATM)

What gives you the idea it is less capable than any other 4x4 off road in it's class, and what experience have you to give you this inside knowledge ?

Joe24

very-near said:
We have got an A-class merc as a runaround joe. The Shogun has been SORN'd for 5 months as we are not doing any horse shows this year (so no need for a tow car ATM)

What gives you the idea it is less capable than any other 4x4 off road in it's class, and what experience have you to give you this inside knowledge ?

A brain.
A class merc as a run around?:laugh:

Joe24 said:
A brain.
A class merc as a run around?:laugh:

so no real experience then :laugh:

The Merc does what we need. I've never really been that much into cars TBH

Seeing as you like being impressed with numbers in a 'top trumps' kind of way Joe, an Audi RS4 will do 0-100-0mph in about 15.5 seconds (no slouch).

The bike I'm commuting on at the moment has done the same benchmark test in 10.79 seconds which is a whole shed load more performance than any road legal car (baring a Veyron)

Now with this in mind, why am I going to feel diminished by any criticism of any car I use to run my family around in ?

Joe24

very-near said:
so no real experience then :laugh:

The Merc does what we need. I've never really been that much into cars TBH

Seeing as you like being impressed with numbers in a 'top trumps' kind of way Joe, an Audi RS4 will do 0-100-0mph in about 15.5 seconds (no slouch).

The bike I'm commuting on at the moment has done the same benchmark test in 10.79 seconds which is a whole shed load more performance than any road legal car (baring a Veyron)

Now with this in mind, why am I going to feel diminished by any criticism of any car I use to run my family around in ?

:laugh:
I dont actually think you should be allowed to have anything more then a supermarket shopping trolley. Seriously.
You have said before you got road rage and went out in your 4x4 looking for the people.
You should stay off the road.

Joe24 said:
:laugh:
I dont actually think you should be allowed to have anything more then a supermarket shopping trolley. Seriously.
You have said before you got road rage and went out in your 4x4 looking for the people.
You should stay off the road.

I've calmed down a bit since then Joe - it was a knob about your age throwing a drink over me when I was cycling up the road minding my own business which fired me up.

The thing I've noticed about cycling and m/cycling is the lack of respect from other road users I get on the cycle, and the contrast to when I'm on the m/cycle where I get loads.

How long ago did you say you passed your test ?

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I certainly wouldn't attempt to pull a 2.2t trailer with anything other than a heavy 4X4.

Call me irresponsible if you like, but that's just the way it is.

Top Bottom