Typos and mis-spellings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Not a misspelling as such, but what gets me is when people put question marks at the end of sentences, when it's not really a question.

You hear this sort of inflexion in modern speech, which is OK I suppose, but it starts to bug me when they carry it over into written English.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:
Not a misspelling as such, but what gets me is when people put question marks at the end of sentences, when it's not really a question.

You hear this sort of inflexion in modern speech, which is OK I suppose, but it starts to bug me when they carry it over into written English.

I can't remembe the proper name for it, but it's something like Antipodean Rising Inflexion, and it apparently started (or was first documented) among Australian schoolgirls. The idea being that if you make all your statements sound like questions, you are seeking the agreement of your listeners? And making an effort not to sound like a know-it-all? It spread widely during the boom in Australian soap operas.

In forum terms, I think using phrases like IIRC are similar - providing a get out if you are proved wrong, and making you look more modest.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Pete said:
You are missing the point, TheDoctor. Kirk and his crew of TOS are so much loved and admired by their followers (myself included) precisely because they were 'a bit rubbish'. Just like my fond memories of the very first Doctor Who (William Hartnell) because he was such a crap actor (he habitually turned up on set drunk, apparently). Some of us just adore tackiness.

Split infinitives? Not always a sin. I don't have the Fowler reference to hand, but I'll dig it up when I get home. That book definitely sanctions split infinitives in a few special cases. Many people deride Fowler, but all agree that it does lay down a set of standards...

Maybe you're right. Don't get me wrong, I like TOS, but I think TNG is, well, better.
@ Arch, the quote is indeed '...where no man etc' in TOS, but '...where no-one etc' in TNG. And I think Picard says it much better than Kirk. Plus, I don't approve of the sexism in the 'no man' line.

Pete

TheDoctor said:
Plus, I don't approve of the sexism in the 'no man' line.
This sort of sexism - using the word 'man' where 'person' is intended - goes back a long way, and has been picked up on before. Such as here:
HAMLET What man dost thou dig it for?
First Clown For no man, sir.
HAMLET What woman, then?
First Clown For none, neither.
HAMLET Who is to be buried in't?
First Clown One that was a woman, sir; but, rest her soul, she's dead.
HAMLET How absolute the knave is!

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
TheDoctor said:
Plus, I don't approve of the sexism in the 'no man' line.

The word 'man' has several different meanings including:-
1) An adult male.
2) A member of the race homo sapiens, be they male or female.
3) A human being.
3) A person.

Are women allowed in no-man's land? No refer to 2,3 & 4.
Can a woman be a foreman or a chairman? Yes, refer to 2,3 & 4.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
mr_hippo said:
1) An adult male.
3) A human being.
3) A person.

What are you referring to when you write about "no-man's land", if it is in a area near to an important border between two countries, then it is called "border guard's patrol area", in which case a woman is allowed in it.

Pete

Actually, looking at Hamlet's dialogue in more detail, it seems there are a fair number of violations of our golden rules - reminder:
1. Verbs has to agree with their subjects.
2. Prepositions are not words to end sentences with.
3. And don't start a sentence with a conjunction.
4. It is wrong to ever split an infinitive.
5. Avoid cliches like the plague.
6. Also, always absolutely avoid and abjure annoying alliteration.
7. Be more or less specific.
8. Parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are (usually) inappropriate.
9. No sentence fragments.
10. One should never, ever generalise.
11. Contractions aren't necessary, and shouldn't be used.
12. Do not use no double negatives.
13. Eschew ampersands & abbreviations, etc.
14. Eliminate commas, that are, not necessary.
15. Never use a big word when a diminutive one would suffice.
16. Kill all exclamation marks!!!!!!
17. Use words correctly, irregardless of how others use them.
18. Use the apostrophe in it's proper place, and omit it when its not needed.
19. Puns are for children, not groan adults.
20. Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
21. The splitting of phrasal verbs is something up with which I will not put.
22. It is better that the subjunctive be not over-used.

HAMLET What man dost thou dig it for? (preposition at end: violation of rule 2)
First Clown For no man, sir. (sentence fragment: rule 9)
HAMLET What woman, then? (ditto)
First Clown For none, neither. (double negative: rule 12)
HAMLET Who is to be buried in't? (contraction: rule 11)
First Clown One that was a woman, sir; but, rest her soul, she's dead. (subjunctive: rule 22)
HAMLET How absolute the knave is!

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
mr_hippo said:
1) An adult male.
3) A human being.
3) A person.

OK. Let's try to dispose of these one by one, at least in a Star Trek sense.
1. Uhura wasn't an adult male. Or Christine Chapel.
2. Spock wasn't homo sapiens, Or not all, anyway.
3. Or a human being either. Entirely.
Other 3. Ermm. Struggling a bit here. Data wasn't a person, except legally he was declared such. The Doctor on Voyager wasn't either, but they didn't use the 'To boldly go...' line there.

Anyway, I prefer the Picard line. Just because. It's more inclusive.:biggrin:

mr_hippo

Living Legend & Old Fart
Pete said:
Actually, looking at Hamlet's dialogue in more detail, it seems there are a fair number of violations of our golden rules - reminder:

What is a dialogue? It's a conversation between two or more people. Can you tell me how to make typos or spelling errors in the spoken word?

TheDoctor with your Star Trek posting - I don't know what weed you are smoking but can I have some?

mr_hippo said:
We will put it in cycling terms. Look at a brake or gear cable and what do you see? A cable that has a nipple at each end. Now put the cable on a bike - one nipple connects with the brake lever and the other with the brake and all will work.

Brake lever + nipple + cable + nipple + brake = the bike stops.

Remove the brake lever and what will happen?

Nipple + cable + nipple + brake = the bike does not stop.

Substitute the words 'brake lever', 'cable' and 'brake' for 'phrase' [or word or clause] and 'nipple' with 'conjunction' and what happens?

Phrase + conjunction + phrase + conjunction + Phrase = Correct sentence.

Conjunction + phrase + conjunction + Phrase = Incorrect sentence.

What on earth have brake cables got to do with anything? How are they relevant to starting a sentence with "and"?
My whole point is that the whole "never-start-a-sentence-with-a-conjunction" is based on a self - published work by an obscure English cleric from the 19th century, for no other reason than he thought it sounded like a good idea. There's no grammatical reason why we shouldn't start a sentence with "and" or "but". There's an excellent reason why we shouldn't fit our brake cables backwards though.:thumbsup:

mr_hippo said:
1) An adult male.
3) A human being.
3) A person.

It can also mean something entirely unrelated to sex. If you're a woman and have been asked to "man the telephones/reception desk/chicken gutting machine" it's not sexist, it merely means "operate it by hand". "Manning" in this sense is from the French "main" meaning, er, "hand". So, not at all sexist.

Dave5N

Über Member
Oh. It refers to thread on Soapbox. Listen carefully, I'd better keep my voice down.

The thing is, I asked how much it takes to bribe lobby a mod. Only i have a little, er, 'job' that needs taking care of. And you're just the right sort to, um, help 'facilitate' matters...

Anyway, nuff said, no names, no pack drill, eh?

Ok, it's safe to go. The coast's clear.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
mr_hippo said:
What is a dialogue? It's a conversation between two or more people. Can you tell me how to make typos or spelling errors in the spoken word?

TheDoctor with your Star Trek posting - I don't know what weed you are smoking but can I have some?

'Sall gone. Got any pizza?:thumbsup:

Top Bottom