Typos and mis-spellings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Alan Frame said:
Seen in a local butcher's shop : "Scarthings for sale". Something to do with pork rind, I understand.

From a genuine log recording a call to police from a concerned resident : "I think my neighbour is diseased." It was rather more serious than that, the neighbour was deceased.

It all adds to life's rich tapestry.

Interesting, how people switch to 'formal' language. In everyday language, would the person have actually said "I think my neighbour is dead" or "has died". But when they are making statements, or official letters or something like that, so many people feel they have to use fancy words - and often, it's really obvious that they aren't comfortable with that sort of language and would really be better to just use their own words.

red_tom

There's a place near me that has the following sign outside

Lazy Day's
Furniture brought and sold.

Pete

red_tom said:
There's a place near me that has the following sign outside

Lazy Day's
Furniture brought and sold.
This is perfectly clear to me. Evidently there is a person living nearby, named Mr. or Ms. Lazy Day. This shop evidently undertakes to collect his or her furniture and 'bring' it somewhere, then to sell it on.

Uncle Phil said:
For sale:
Hey
Straw
Menure
This is more difficult. It appears that the sign expresses a wish merely to attract a passer-by's attention, by means of a commonplace interjection, before advertising that the establishment has straw on offer. The mind boggles at 'menure': it may be a portmanteau word whereupon the mind boggles even more! :ohmy:xx(:cry:

alicat

Legendary Member
Here's another one:

24. Sentences should contain one idea only and should not go on to include a second idea.

Pete

The word "women" is not PC, since the word contains "men". "Persons" cannot be substituted for "men" since it contains the male word "son". I believe you have to resort to "woperdaughters" leading to the composite "woperdaughtersure"...:cry:

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Pete said:
The word "women" is not PC, since the word contains "men". "Persons" cannot be substituted for "men" since it contains the male word "son". I believe you have to resort to "woperdaughters" leading to the composite "woperdaughtersure"...:cry:

Which, this being England, is pronounced "Smith"...

Dave5N

Über Member
Daughter is also gender-specific. When I were a lad we substituted 'kin'

So your word becomes woperkinure.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
Dave5N said:
Daughter is also gender-specific. When I were a lad we substituted 'kin'

So your word becomes woperkinure.

Still pronounced Smith though. But Smyth with a Y.

I took a call at work recently where the female caller started off by stating " Now I hope you don't think I'm being erotic......"

Having gained my attention, she then went on to lose it again as I realised how neurotic she really was.

OP
OP
Arch

Arch

Married to Night Train
When I was a kid, I had my Mum in stitches when she read something I'd written for a science lesson which started "The sun is really impotent..."

Speck

Oldest Teenager In Town
European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the European Union rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of the negotiations, the British Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a 5- year phase-in plan that would become known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy.

The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of "k". This should klear up konfusion, and keyboards kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like fotograf 20% shorter.

In the 3rd year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible.

Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling.

Also, al wil agre that the horibl mes of the silent "e" in the languag is disgrasful and it should go away.

By the 4th yer people wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w"with "v".

During ze fifz yer, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and after ziz fifz yer, ve vil hav a reil sensi bl riten styl.

Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi tu understand ech oza. Ze drem of a united urop vil finali kum tru.

Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German like zey vunted in ze forst plas.

If zis mad you smil, pleas pas on to oza pepl.

Top Bottom